• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel

RSR59

Einzelkaempfer
Has anyone read about the law the EPA passed? :deal
All fuel from now on at the pump will be E 15.
They also do not recommend E 15 for MC/ATV, Marine or small engines like lawnmowers, chainsaws etc.
There are really after us two wheelers aren't they? :nono

All is not lost...

Today's Bench Racing thread over on The Campfire has a link about an update from the EPA.

The pertinent part:
"On Dec. 17, in response to ongoing AMA concerns, the EPA indicated to the AMA that it would no longer require a minimum purchase of four gallons. Instead, the EPA will now likely require a label on blender pumps that dispense E10 and E15 through the same hose that state the pump is solely for passenger cars and trucks.

In addition, the EPA indicated it will require stations that sell E15 to also have a pump with a dedicated E10 hose for use by motorcycles and other vehicles the EPA hasnÔÇÖt approved for E15 use."

Today's Bench Racing thread over on The Campfire has a link about an update from the EPA.

The pertinent part:
"On Dec. 17, in response to ongoing AMA concerns, the EPA indicated to the AMA that it would no longer require a minimum purchase of four gallons. Instead, the EPA will now likely require a label on blender pumps that dispense E10 and E15 through the same hose that state the pump is solely for passenger cars and trucks.

In addition, the EPA indicated it will require stations that sell E15 to also have a pump with a dedicated E10 hose for use by motorcycles and other vehicles the EPA hasnÔÇÖt approved for E15 use."

That's actually a more helpful response than I was anticipating from the EPA. Of course, it won't please the stations that didn't contemplate a separate hose for E10, like the brand new Mobil station down the street that has announced "E15 coming soon!"

And will stations with their dedicated E10 hose sell any E10 other than "regular" grade 87?

The EPA could screw-up a free lunch.

pete
Best wishes for a wonderful Holiday and a prosperous New Year. Lang may yer lum reek! (Scottish saying - it's a good thing, trust me)

That's actually a more helpful response than I was anticipating from the EPA. Of course, it won't please the stations that didn't contemplate a separate hose for E10, like the brand new Mobil station down the street that has announced "E15 coming soon!"

From what I know they would be better off concealing the arrival of E-15. This way to the egress. A sucker is born every minute.

I wonder that the E-10 would be in a faraway corner of the property(compared to the NEW E-15)
I am told that freshness of the fuel is important, even more so with the added ethanol, low volume of sales with the E-10 would not be good. Might be a few driving cars that might prefer it & help sales volume.

I don't own a vehicle car, truck, motorcycle or tractor that is eligible to use E15. Cars and light trucks newer than 2001 only. While I think ethanol in fuel is stupid, and I think more ethanol in fuel is even more stupid, I am not going to do a lot of keyboard banging or head banging on the wall about it. As long as the big agri-business and farm belt interests have more clout than motorists it won't change. What we should politically insist on in every state is absolutely clear labeling of each hose at each pump so we know which grade of swill we will get. Several states that used to require labeling eliminated that requirement a few years ago. Guess who wanted that to happen.

Airhead uses need to get alcohol resistant fuel and lines. Classic K bike owners need to get the same in the way of the fuel pump damper and lines. I don't know of damage to Oilheads or F bikes with E10, at least not the known failures types for the K bikes and Airheads.

Back