• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Oil Filter Question

FWIW

I used to run a filter test lab. The pressure drop across a functioning filter is quite low- so low that a filter length difference is of no practical consequence to that pressure drop in operating conditions.

Filters plug exponentially, not linearly. Pressure drop increase is moderate until the filter has accumulated at least 3/4 of its maximum dirt load capability, then goes up at a rapidly increasing rate. All other things equal, a bigger filter can hold more dirt but this is also not of much consequence in normal use because it takes so much dirt to plug a filter there is no chance you'll get to that point with reasonable service intervals on a bike with an intact air filter and closed crankcase.

BMW K wedge bikes have a couple factory filter sizes available. The longer one is a bloody nuisance to use so I use the short one. The reason they have the long one available I'm told was due to a couple bikes with clutch failures dumping too much clutch crude into the oil for the smaller filter but that is not a typical problem. Not relevant to R bikes with their separate tranny, either.

Re those cheap Frams- I don't like cardboard end caps either but my biggest objection to that filter is its greatly reduced area of filtration material which of course equally reduces its dirt load capability. All you need to understand that is to count pleats- its a cheap piece of junk all the way around but can still do an OK job at protecting an engine that gets reasonable service intervals, as long as it doesn't come apart.

My own filter choices come from those that a filter maker lists for the vehicle in question. All the makers have test labs and engineers for a reason and I don't second guess guys who do it for a living and have to stand behind their published info.

Orange and made out of cardboard bits? Sounds like a Fram...Yikes!

I don't think the Teutonic gods would be offended by a Mann or Bosch filter. Both are good quality and well constructed for less cost than Mahle.

Agreed... Mann and/or Bosch, excellent quality! And that goes for oil filters, fuel filters, air filters,...

If you read this article, Oil Filter Review and Tests, and believe it, you'd steer away from Fram and select Mobil1, Purolator or Bosch.

I would not be so hasty bashing the PH6063, it's a totally different animal from the usual Frams. This one has an unpainted finish, weighs quite a bit and is manufactured in Austria. Not really sure of how this came to be in the Fram world, but I use it whenever I find it as it is less expensive than the Bosch, but it looks identical to me. Have I cut it in half, put it under an electron microscope, monitored the flow rates etc, no, but it works for me just fine.

I know we all have an opinion, but I have not seen many vehicles on the side of the road due to a bad Fram filter. I imagine they make the majority of the quick lube badged filters and they seem to be working good enough. Sure, we can quote the articles showing how crappy they are, but are they good enough? I have well over a million miles on my vehicles (autos), typically using "generic" or whatever is on sale, and I always get well over 100,000 miles and have never unloaded a car due to engine issues.

OK, bash away :brad

I would not be so hasty bashing the PH6063, it's a totally different animal from the usual Frams. This one has an unpainted finish, weighs quite a bit and is manufactured in Austria. Not really sure of how this came to be in the Fram world, but I use it whenever I find it as it is less expensive than the Bosch, but it looks identical to me. Have I cut it in half, put it under an electron microscope, monitored the flow rates etc, no, but it works for me just fine.

I know we all have an opinion, but I have not seen many vehicles on the side of the road due to a bad Fram filter. I imagine they make the majority of the quick lube badged filters and they seem to be working good enough. Sure, we can quote the articles showing how crappy they are, but are they good enough? I have well over a million miles on my vehicles (autos), typically using "generic" or whatever is on sale, and I always get well over 100,000 miles and have never unloaded a car due to engine issues.

Yep, we all have opinions for sure! :blah

Mine is that to ignore expert opinion and fact based science is just not logical.

Cutting the Fram 6063 open after you are done with it would be really interesting. Check out how much filter surface area it has and how it is put together. It seems to be the most important aspect of filtration. You might also find that in this day of global out sourcing Fram does not even make that particular filter. A hacksaw and some rags might show why it's "good enough".

Besides, cutting stuff open is great therapy for back yard scientists. :laugh

I don't think I was was bashing the Fram, I've used dozens of them over the years. That said I found the article I referred to be thoughtful so hoped it would help the OP. Personally I decided to go with the Mobil 1 filter and the Mobil 1 4T 10W40.

Unfortunately, none of the filtration tests or claims are performed by third party lab testing. I rarely believe what a manufacturer states unless they have an extremely good reputation that is maintained over time.

The following pics clearly show differences in filter construction. Both oil filters are for the same vehicle. The top is a Fram oil filter. Note the cardboard end caps. The bottom is a Mahle oil filter.

FRAM%20Open.jpg

BMW%20Open.jpg

I don't cheap out on oil filters. I'm amazed that forum members will discuss "which oil" ad nauseam and then discuss how to save a buck on an oil filter. :scratch :rolleyes

That's not a Fram 6063 in the picture. Fram and many other oil filter makers do not make a complete line of filters, they have other companies manufacture filters they do not. Then they package them under their brand name. The brand name and the manufacturer can change along with the quality.

The next culprit is the interchange charts, if the gasket on the oil filter will mate to the machined surface on the engine block and the filter has the correct thread size it will physically interchange. Doesn't mean the filter will do the job the engine manufacturer had in mind. Next time you change oil in an engine look at how large the machined surface is compared to the rubber gasket on the filter.

Then there is the oil, how much crud can it hold in suspension until you change it. How much detergent and how long does it last? How fast does the oil break down. The gas you use contributes to the crud in the crankcase along with how the bike is ridden. Fuel system cleaner can dislodge crud and force its way past the piston rings into the oil.

Old oil does nasty things inside an engine. Throw some high detergent oil in the engine and ride it hard for a couple hours get some sustained heat in the engine. That will turn the oil black and fill the filter.

I have a bucket in my garage that I put old oil filters in and let them drain, the next time I change oil in the bike I can pick up the drained filter and see how full of crud it is. Kinda like reading a spark plug.

Oil filters don't do a complete job of keeping the oil clean, that's part of the reason for changing the oil.

Jon

While were are off on Fram here why not look at the various Fram options offered in the box stores. They have (I think) three versions of most common oil filters and I have "felt" that the higher priced seem heavier in your hand-does that mean they will pass the "hacksaw test"? Does that mean they lack the awful & feared "cardboard" end caps? Having torn into more than a few high end cars from end to end, its a fact that a lot of their parts are made of El Crapo materials too. I really don't think you learn a whole lot about a filter by whacking on it & laying eyeballs on the guts. It's just another one of those items like oil,tires,shocks,windshields,etc., that are "doable,i.e., attachable by the masses and thus they fit conveniently into conversation.

I don't think I was was bashing the Fram, I've used dozens of them over the years. That said I found the article I referred to be thoughtful so hoped it would help the OP. Personally I decided to go with the Mobil 1 filter and the Mobil 1 4T 10W40.

So, who actually makes Mobil's filters ?

Back