• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Oil Filter Question

weeman

I'm able to get cheap KN-163 oil filters and was wondering if they can be used on my 1995 r1100 rsl? Cheap @ $10. each.:D
Thanks all.

Steve

KN not listed here but plenty of others are. Check for compatibility? http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

I get my filters here: http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Air-Fuel-and-Oil-Filters-for-BMW-Ducati-and-Moto-Guzzi-s/6.htm

Quality Bosch and Mann products starting at $6.95 for single qty and cheaper if you buy several. Beemerboneyard has good deals also.

I will be following this up oil change is due. Thanks very much! I believe we are neighbors too, 45 min from downtown Vancouver?

Steve

yes, the KN-163 is the correct filter for all oilheads, R1100 & R1150.
teh advantage of the K&Ns is that a special filter wrench is not needed for installation/removal- just a metric socket (they have a nut welded onto the bottom face of the filter).
Mann's are fine, as are Bosch. K&Ns also have tested very well.

Oil filters for R1150RT

Fram oil filter PH6063 from any Auto Parts Store, may have to be ordered but will be there by next day,

Been using the Bosch 72161 filter, which I believe is the same as the Bosch 3330. You can get the 72161 from Beemer Boneyard and it is available from others too. This would be in my 2001 R1100RT, 99k miles.

If you read this article, Oil Filter Review and Tests, and believe it, you'd steer away from Fram and select Mobil1, Purolator or Bosch.

Unfortunately, none of the filtration tests or claims are performed by third party lab testing. I rarely believe what a manufacturer states unless they have an extremely good reputation that is maintained over time.

The following pics clearly show differences in filter construction. Both oil filters are for the same vehicle. The top is a Fram oil filter. Note the cardboard end caps. The bottom is a Mahle oil filter.

FRAM%20Open.jpg

BMW%20Open.jpg

I don't cheap out on oil filters. I'm amazed that forum members will discuss "which oil" ad nauseam and then discuss how to save a buck on an oil filter. :scratch :rolleyes

And guess what, don't they look 100% identical to the BMW oil filter?
And sure enough, BMW 11 42 1 460 485 cross references to OC91 on page 723 of the Mahle filter catalog.

Just curious, but does the OC91 have an anti-drainback bladder?

1202103689_oPGN5-O.jpg

Same for the two oil filters on my Porsche. Both Mahle (OC213 and OC 229) minus the Porsche silk screening on the casing.

I have to say, as far as construction details, Mahle makes great oil filters. I can't comment on their filtration qualities, but I might assume they are up there as well.

And guess what, don't they look 100% identical to the BMW oil filter?
And sure enough, BMW 11 42 1 460 485 cross references to OC91 on page 723 of the Mahle filter catalog.

Just curious, but does the OC91 have an anti-drainback bladder?

1202103689_oPGN5-O.jpg

Same for the two oil filters on my Porsche. Both Mahle (OC213 and OC 229) minus the Porsche silk screening on the casing.

I have to say, as far as construction details, Mahle makes great oil filters. I can't comment on their filtration qualities, but I might assume they are up there as well.

I have to ask, why is a anti drainback bladder required? I call it a valve.

The filter stays full because of its position.

David

I have to ask, why is a anti drainback bladder required? I call it a valve.

The filter stays full because of its position.

David

I asked because the OC91 may be a Mahle equivalent, but the BMW may be custom made for BMW without the anti-drainback bladder. The pic of the open BMW filter above does not show one and neither does it need one being mounted upside down. I pre-fill them when installing a new filter.

I'll throw out my previously stated "standard oil filter thread comment": that my sawmill's Kohler 15hp engine, my previous Toyota Tundra(V-8,2005) & my BMW 2003 R1150R all share the same oil filter.This of course varies with the source of your application chart. Seems the need for very specific filter performance covers a fairly wide spectrum? I have casually observed that filter size seems to vary , not with engine size or service but with who knows what criteria? I used to use a much longer filter on some of my trucks as the space was limitless. Then some rocket scientist(in one of these filter/oil threads) says that changes the system pressure. On my bike what I don't want is anything that protrudes below the engine farther than needed.

Then some rocket scientist(in one of these filter/oil threads) says that changes the system pressure.

Changing the size (length) of an oil filter changes the system pressure? :scratch

You might get a pressure drop across a filter and how much of a drop will depend on how clogged it is (assuming the bypass does not open).

Back when I rode a 79 XS750SF Yamaha triple, and was active in the y-triples forum community, a dude had catastrophic engine destruction when the internals of an (I believe it was orange) oil filter collapsed.
After much growling and wringing of hands, the company which manufactured said oil filter paid for the rebuild of this "dude"s engine.
What all was ingested to cause this oil starvation failure?...filter material and cardboard bits.
I don't remember all of the technical details due to the fact that this was a decade and a half ago, but I was imprinted on the fact that quality of construction is perhaps as important as filtration abilities.
I am not intending to besmirch any corporation that manufactures lubricant filtration devices, but this is the one and only example of filter failure of which I am aware.

Additionally, I will only run Mahle filters in my '71 911 just because I don't want to anger the Teutonic gods...

Back when I rode a 79 XS750SF Yamaha triple, and was active in the y-triples forum community, a dude had catastrophic engine destruction when the internals of an (I believe it was orange) oil filter collapsed.
After much growling and wringing of hands, the company which manufactured said oil filter paid for the rebuild of this "dude"s engine.
What all was ingested to cause this oil starvation failure?...filter material and cardboard bits.
I don't remember all of the technical details due to the fact that this was a decade and a half ago, but I was imprinted on the fact that quality of construction is perhaps as important as filtration abilities.
I am not intending to besmirch any corporation that manufactures lubricant filtration devices, but this is the one and only example of filter failure of which I am aware.

Additionally, I will only run Mahle filters in my '71 911 just because I don't want to anger the Teutonic gods...

Orange and made out of cardboard bits? Sounds like a Fram...Yikes! :bolt

I don't think the Teutonic gods would be offended by a Mann or Bosch filter. Both are good quality and well constructed for less cost than Mahle. :p

Back