• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

System Cases 76 R90/6

plehman

Maybe a Gear question, but it's Airhead centric...

Anyone know about those nice system cases pictured on the cover of this months Owners News? It's a 70s Airhead with forward slanted, hard saddlebags. Looks like they open from the top.

To me the best looking/integrated bags I've seen. Wonder what they are and where to find some.

thanks

Those are just Wixom bags. They were pretty common back in the day of /5 and /6's. They also had a neat rear box that also functioned as a back rest. They are not really "system" cases; but did come off kinda easy......Good luck....God bless.........Dennis

Thanks for the info. There's a pair on Ebay - current bid $24.00 Will watch.
Wonder how they attached?

Was hoping that someone using these would post a pic; but they haven't so.....Basically, on each side of the bike they use a flat steel, 1/8" X 1" or so, metal strap type rack with a couple of pin type fasteners that go through the bags and attach them to the rack. A picture sure says a lot. Perhaps a search for Wixom bags would give you more.

I dont remember having problems with them at all and the R75 I had them on went more than 150K using them. If I remember correctly, they are constructed of fiberglass and are quite rugged. They come with the capability of wiring in a running light down in the bottom rear corner of the bag which is kinda nice......Anyway, they do work quite well and really when loaded, because you can't get to the fasteners, should be considered that they DO NOT DETACH from the bike..........God bless.......Dennis

I recently purchased a set of New Old Stock Wixoms in white, with the mounting brackets. I was most pleased to get the brackets. I am going to use them as templates to make a set of brackets for some dog-eared Wixom top loaders that I plan to have paint matched to my Blue R75/5.

I know that we are not supposed to use the Forum for trade purposes, so please do not contact me about the set. If anyone wants or needs mounts, that would be O.K.,... I guess,....maybe...

Wixom saddlebags

I just sold a pair on the Flea Market. One thing to consider carefully is the cost of shipping. I sold a pair for $300 plus shipping. Told the buyer if shipping was over $100 I would cover. Brought the bags and mounts to UPS to box and ship. My cost was $193 which included a $50 oversize box fee.

I would have kept the bags if I knew all I would make was less than $200.

So some advice from a poorer fool, Box the bags yourself, shop the shipping via ups, fedex, usmail etc ahead of time and don't get ripped off like I did.

I wish the top opening bags would have worked with the Russel seat because they are the best looking bags on an airhead!

I just sold a pair on the Flea Market. One thing to consider carefully is the cost of shipping. I sold a pair for $300 plus shipping. Told the buyer if shipping was over $100 I would cover. Brought the bags and mounts to UPS to box and ship. My cost was $193 which included a $50 oversize box fee.

I would have kept the bags if I knew all I would make was less than $200.

So some advice from a poorer fool, Box the bags yourself, shop the shipping via ups, fedex, usmail etc ahead of time and don't get ripped off like I did.

I wish the top opening bags would have worked with the Russel seat because they are the best looking bags on an airhead!

When I shipped a set of bags, I put them in 2 separate boxes, which actually ended up saving me money.

Something to consider.

I have a set I used to run on my '82 R100. They are used up; worn out, scratched, shattered, broken, missing both latches and one lid. I lost the hinge from it and then found an identical set at a second hand building salvage store. I used the one lid to make a mold to fabricate another lid, and used a bit of wire to keep them closed. I used them for years transporting tools to and from work, overloading them on a daily basis. I really liked the top loading feature as they doubled as a cooler to keep cold beverages cold. But they don't have handles so carrying them is a bit of a hassle. And the right side bracket needs to be removed from the top frame mounting points in order to open the seat. Simple to do, but not exactly convenient. My brackets don't look exactly like the ones in Duane's site -- similar, but simpler. I think one day I may use the brackets to attach something like ammo boxes or some other style box or bucket to the bike.

Go Commando for $65 a side! FleaBay military surplus and Happy Trail pannier mounts. Water tight and solid. :clap
2012-06-08174124.jpg

I like that. Can they be dismounted w/out opening them?

Nope.

I used Rambler rubber well nuts on the BMW bag racks which happen to fit perfectly and mate up to the Happy Trails screws on the inside. Easy to take off but you do have to open the lid to remove the bags. Thing is I rarely do that so not a big deal at all.

I've removed all the military printing since the photos were taken.

Back