• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

brighter brake lite replacement?

I

islandtime

I thought i found a site a while back that had a replacement kit to add 2 additional bulbs to the brake light of my('95)k75.. Anyone have a link or know if this is still available.. If not I think i am going with the led replacement..Any one have experience with either one?
thanks for the help
Gene (islandtime)

Brake Light Replacement.

Hi All,

When you do any of these brake light mods, does it mess with the bulb check feature of the instrument cluster?

TIA,
Eric

Yes

On mine it puts the red light on the dash on all the time. When you apply the brakes it then flashes like the modulator.

The dealer said this was typical and no problem so I put a piece of velcro over it so I can only see it a night.

I have the Backoff dual LED license plate frame and the Kisan brakelight modulator :thumb . I believe that is about all you can add to the latest generation ABS powered brakelights without it throwing a hissyfit :dunno

To satisfy the bulb minder, put a 10-15 ohm 15 watt resistor in parallel to LEDs. Put it where the heat won't melt anything. The minder works on load & LEDs aren't much.
Adding lighting/loads to the new bikes requires a relay of some kind that is isolated from the system. I prefer solid state types because they draw 10 odd mA of load themselves, not enough to set any engine codes. Good Hunting... <<<)))

Electrical Ignoramus

CustomSarge,

When you say wire a resistor in parallel, does that mean, in simple terms, to cut the wire going back to the taillight and splice in the resistor?

TIA,
Eric

Eric1514 said:
CustomSarge,

When you say wire a resistor in parallel, does that mean, in simple terms, to cut the wire going back to the taillight and splice in the resistor?

TIA,
Eric
When you cut the wire and put in betwen the ends, that is in series. When you just attach it along the wire it is in parallel.

Load in parallel

Use the same two connections as your LED unit does. BMW Ks use brown & grey/yellow for brake light. GH... <<<)))

Back