• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve clearance 2009 RTP?

kdeline

Civilian model settings are 15mm intake, 30mm exhaust. Why is the authority engine 35mm exhaust? It's the same engine. Since I will not be riding it like a cop can't I just set it at 30mm? What is the reasoning behind this?

I would stick with the spec.
I do not know way its different.

David

I question that since the bike will no longer be used as a police bike, no long idling, parades, traffic stops, etc. So will I need to set it as a normal civilian bike and if I do not, will I be asking for problems down the road? As far as I know there is no difference in the motor.

What is the source for the .35mm spec?

The bigger gap provides longer closed time and better cooling of the valve head by conduction to the valve seat. It also might affect the exhaust flow. I say might because I don't know where the most restrictive element in the entire flow is.

Also, the critical thing is that the valves are set the same side to side. Given the published ranges for shim set valves on other models, I suspect .30 v .35 doesn't make a huge difference in running, although it should make a difference in valve head cooling. I'm not at all sure what that extra gap translates to into milliseconds of closed time but it is certainly some more closed time.

From www.bmwmc.net.

Whats new tab.

This is a Police motors sight.

05/24/2011

Technician Maintenance Notes: Please take note that the exhaust valve clearance on 2006 - 2009 R1200RT-P models (which all include option code 369) is different than the civil version - special service motors should have exhaust valve clearance set at .35 mm (civil models are at .30 mm). Please ensure that your technicians are following this recommendation from the RSD Repair Manual CD. Also, the Service Data is listed in full under technical information / checklists / R 1200 RT-P / Service Data.

From www.bmwmc.net.

Whats new tab.

This is a Police motors sight.

05/24/2011

Technician Maintenance Notes: Please take note that the exhaust valve clearance on 2006 - 2009 R1200RT-P models (which all include option code 369) is different than the civil version - special service motors should have exhaust valve clearance set at .35 mm (civil models are at .30 mm). Please ensure that your technicians are following this recommendation from the RSD Repair Manual CD. Also, the Service Data is listed in full under technical information / checklists / R 1200 RT-P / Service Data.

Thanks. It sure would have been nice if they had included "due to extended idling" or "due to different valves", or "due to xxx..." as an explanation so folks weren't left guessing as to reasons - but BMW almost never explains their reasons.

I would look up the part numbers for the exhaust valves. If they are the same then I would be comforable using the .30mm civilian specification, but don't really have a good reason why I would necessarily want to.

Note that this difference of 0.05 millimeters is equal to just a hair less than 0.002 (two thousandths of an) inch.
We know from past experience that BMW has often spec'd valve clearances a bit on the tight side, and loosening them up a little often makes them run a lot better (intakes AND exhausts).

Last edited:
I tend to run my valves at a very lose 15 and 30 as I stretch my maintenance intervals. They just never change that much.

Back