• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oilhead valve cover refinish

spanky

I'd rather be riding...
Ever notice how the finish on older oilhead valve covers tends to oxidize and develop checking in the factory finish? Mine are like that but it's mainly on the upper portion of the cover, the one that's always exposed to sunlight.

I've search through this forum and can't find a thread about cleaning/restoring this type of finish. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Hum, try...

I had one that had some lower side scratches. Not gouges just paint scratched. I lightly sanded it with 400 grit wet and dry paper, shot a bit of grey primer to fill the scratches, sanded again (w/time to dry) and shot a coat of Krylon dull aluminum on it and honestly I can't tell it from the top half.
good luck

autobody paint supplier =wheel paint,FWIW, most alu paints are too "metallic/sparkly" to replicate the OEM finish you mention.

Well, DUH!!

I should have looked in my own cleaning supply cabinet. Last night I went rummaging through the cabinet and found an old jar of Mother's Metal and Aluminum polish that I'd forgotten I had.

I used a small portion on one of my oilhead valve covers and the change was immediate. The Mother's paste removed the oxidation and made the checking in the finish disappear. In fact, I couldn't get over how nice the covers look and marvel at how little "elbow grease" it took to get 'em looking nice again.

Powder coat solves it nicely too.

IMG_0898.jpg

covers

Bikerfish,
Did you strip the paint off of them or did the powdercoater? How much with it normally cost to get them done?
Thanks

i had the factory paint stripped, but would not recommed doing so- its not necessary, the stock stuff is on there really well, and stripping does not produce a better finish.
cost will depend upon local pricing. i paid about $80, iirc for strip and p/c, but next time would be less (i have a new guy, who did an entire /2 frame and front end for that same amount).

Back