• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Where to sell

The time has come, thanks to age and Agent Orange, for me to sell my Pristine 2002 R1150RS. How and where do I post it for sale? How do I determine a fair price?

Thanks

Post somewhere other than a forum dedicated to late stone age points and kickstart bikes

Just funnin - don't get mad

Post on the Flea Market - via the MOA home page.

Also post a For Sale in the Oilhead section of the IBMWR.org classified ads pages.

The "Used Bike Value Guide" in the November issue of MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS lists your bike at $4385. :type Doesn't hurt to get as many "ideas" as possible. Good luck with your sale - I miss my RS. There's really nothing quite like it.

Or...you could hold on to it until next summer, and then bring it to Salem, Oregon. I understand that there are going to be a few BMW guys/gals there in July!

All joking aside, that might actually be where I start the selling process for my R11S.

:bolt

I have an airhead for sale. It became quickly obvious that it will be wise to wait until spring to sell.

I have bought several of my bikes around this time of year and a little later. I bought them at this time of year because they were far cheaper. Besides it being winter, the holiday season finds many potential buyers and sellers short of money. Wait until spring approaches along with tax refunds.

I just sold my 2003 R1150R last week to a local buyer who spotted my Craigslist ad. I also had it listed on the MOA Flea Market and the IBMWR websites.
I had picked up an R1150RT a couple of months ago and was out of space in my garage or I would have held onto it until spring when the prices start going up. Even here in the south where we can ride all year, motorcycles tend to be a seasonal item with prices lower in the winter and higher in the summer. Check the net for your model bike for sale in similar climate zones for a good seasonal price. Also watch for the prices on ones that sell quickly and ones that linger for months (usually overpriced, some owners are not realistic).
Good luck with the sale.

What tax refund?
As to pricing, it takes knowledge & maybe experience too. If you spend a lot of time monitoring ebay for final sale prices & look long & hard @ Cycle trader & IBMWR you will get closer to reality.
How old is "too old" to ride?

I have had the best luck with CycleTrader.com and IBMWR. Sadly, I never got a response from any of my MOA Flea Market ads.

2007 F650GS (sold)

2004 R1150RT (daily rider)

To determine a price, here's a list:

- eBay, but see if you can find bikes that have sold and the actual number they sold for
- Craigslist, especially the Craigslist local to you. You'll at least see what others are asking.
- Kelly Blue Book (kbb) and NADA price guides give you a ballpark number, but it's a pretty large ballpark. When buying or selling, I take these numbers with a grain of salt, but they can give you an idea.
- Check the sites mentioned above where people have suggested you sell, i.e. the BMW MOA Flea Market and IBMWR.ORG marketplace. While being a good place to sell your bike, these can also serve to give you an idea of what to ask for your own bike.

If you live in the northern climate where riding really doesn't happen during the winter months, then wait until spring to sell, because it will move faster and at a better price.

I've pretty much just restated here what everyone else has said, I just kind of put it together in a single post.

If you're experiencing health issues, (couldn't miss the Agent Orange comment) then I hope you get well soon, or remain as healthy as possible.

Back