• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Octane and altitude question

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
I've heard many times that it's difficult to find gas over 89 octane in the mountains out west. Do engines require lower octane levels at altitude? In other words, while crossing the Rockies enroute to the rally next summer will my fully loaded GSA sidecar rig knock or suffer a loss of performance? Should I carry octane booster to compensate?

I would think you don't need it, but not sure. Reasoning is this, only anecdotal, not scientific at all:
When I went through Death Valley, (very low altitude) I was still running the low grade stuff, which was all I could find, on my K75S. It was very hot out (113 IIRC), and the engine was pinging on it very badly, had to run 3rd gear, 4th at the highest and only when I was on the level. So reasoning is that at just the opposite, high level, might only require lower octane? No idea otherwise why they wouldn't want to sell it, but yeah I noticed that too, I was used to 92 or 93 octane and they didn't sell it up there, nor did I really notice any perfomance decease.

I've heard many times that it's difficult to find gas over 89 octane in the mountains out west. Do engines require lower octane levels at altitude? In other words, while crossing the Rockies enroute to the rally next summer will my fully loaded GSA sidecar rig knock or suffer a loss of performance? Should I carry octane booster to compensate?

Yes - octane requirements are lower at altitude.

For example, at the pump Kansas: regular = 87, mid-grade = 89, premium = 91

Colorado at altitude: regular = 85 or 86, midgrade = 87 or 88, premium = 89 or 90.

Bikes run fine - and ours always get better mileage. I don't know why.

I think the issue is that at higher altitudes, there is less air and thus less that needs to get compressed. Octane is there to prevent knocking for high compression engines. If the compression is "lowered" due to reduced density of air, no need for the additional octane. Same thing if you end up putting base gaskets on an Airhead...you've lowered the compression ratio and the need for the higher octane.

I don't know why.

Increasing the octane level at the pump reduced the combustion ability of the gasoline. When you gain altitude, you are reducing the oxygen level and reducing the combustion ability.

Ideally, you want the gasoline to "burn". When there is too much oxygen and/or too low of a level of octane, then you will get "explosions" instead of a slow steady burn. The pinging you hear is explosions of the gas. Increases of octane level will slow the burn rate down, and you will burn more of the gasoline, and hence, get better gas mileage.

You can also adjust the burn rate slightly with the spark plug gap and the heat range of the spark plug.

Also remember that gasoline is octane. Additives are put in the gas to change the "octane level". Prior to 1975 they used lead to retard the burn rate. If I recall correctly they used tetraethyl lead.

actual experience- i run 87 octane in my R1100S, as well as my F800GS. i live at 5K ft, often ride in the 10K+ range. power is down a bit compared to sea level, but not bad at all. never have issues with pinging, even in 100+ temps. however- going over the mountains you will not experience 100+ temps, even on the very hottest days we see. probably never gets much above 80-85F or so at altitude. If you come thru RMNP and over Trail Ridge Rd (US34), you might hit a heat wave, and see 71 or so. (btw- if you;'ve never done RMNP and Trail Ridge- put it on your "to do" list. it's really something special.) oh yeah.. you will like the improved gas mileage you'll see at altitude.

I think even more moderate changes in elevation can make a difference. When I'm visiting friends and family in Northern Nevada my S runs fine on mid grade rather than premium. Home roads are generally within a few hundred feet of sea level for most of my mileage, in Nevada it averages about 4500 ft for the areas I travel. MPG at sea level about 41-42, and about 45-46 in Nevada. Even during relatively higher speeds on Nevada open roads my mileage remains above 45 mpg, I never get that sort of mileage at sea level....

:dance

Northern and southern California maximum octane available is 91.

Death Valley, I believe has stations carried 89 or 90 max, but not 91.

Since hundreds if not thousands of GS riders use the lowest octane available without problems I'm sure you will be fine.

Since hundreds if not thousands of GS riders use the lowest octane available without problems I'm sure you will be fine.

Hence the second part of my question regarding octane booster, but others have answered that. I was curious because fully loaded for a two week trip with my dog in the sidecar, I once had to use 89 in Ontario and the bike knocked pretty badly unless I kept the RPMs up a grand higher than usual. But that was a much lower altitude.

Thanks, all.

Hence the second part of my question regarding octane booster, but others have answered that. I was curious because fully loaded for a two week trip with my dog in the sidecar, I once had to use 89 in Ontario and the bike knocked pretty badly unless I kept the RPMs up a grand higher than usual. But that was a much lower altitude.

Thanks, all.

which leads to the question- what is your normal running rpm?

Yes - octane requirements are lower at altitude.

For example, at the pump Kansas: regular = 87, mid-grade = 89, premium = 91

Colorado at altitude: regular = 85 or 86, midgrade = 87 or 88, premium = 89 or 90.

Bikes run fine - and ours always get better mileage. I don't know why.

I've done most of my riding west of the Mississippi River, and while what Paul says is absolutely correct, I have found LOTS of small towns with only a single fuel pump (maybe two at the most) and nothing available with higher than 85 octane (maybe that's all farmers need?). I used to carry a bottle of octane boost in my saddlebag, but I discovered the bike (owner's manuel said 91 or higher req'd) runs just fine on low octane fuel, so I have quit carrying the boost.

On cars at least, the hot wire or whatever is in what's called an air mass meter and for sure the density of air is less at altitude and the meter measures less mass.

It should be a given that less horsepower requires less fuel, although carbs can't deliver on that promise as efficiently as FI. Constant velocity carbs are best at it.

In addition there's less aero drag on the whole bike and in mountains and hills there are lots of downhill stretches that require basically nothing from the motor. That is, the motor does less work, which is good for consumption, too.

Back