• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help Selecting a Christmas Riding Jacket

cluther

My wife needs a new riding jacket and I'd like to get her one for Christmas. We ride 2 up and she is looking for a textile jacket, 3/4 length or slightly less, breathable waterproofing, removable insulated liner (we live in mid-coast Maine) with foam armor in shoulders and elbows (my suggestion after my first jacket with CE armor, wouldn't the foam be more comfortable?). Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks

New jacket

Take a look at the Kilamonjaro jacket from First Gear. That is the jacket I'm hoping to get from Santa. It has new armor which is more pliable.

I got one, two steps down from the kilaman. It is less weight for street use. In a2013 model.:clap

Try going here: www.motorcyclegear.com. They have a lot of different brands, you can compare features, and if you see something you want, you can't beat the prices. I've always been happy with my dealings with them.

Thanks for the help

Thank you all for the help.
Many of your recommendations were not available in women's sizes.
Most of them use CE armor which I don't like as it's too rigid.
I had already checked out the superstores and was hoping for some female real-world experience and recommendations.
I did contact First Gear about using the Kilimanjaro softer armor in their Contour Tex jacket, and they were very responsive, but indicated they do not modify standard products and the pockets for the armor were not similar anyways.
If you have any other brand suggestions I'll be happy to look them up.
So thanks fellow BMWers! Calvin

jackets for women

Thank you all for the help.
Many of your recommendations were not available in women's sizes.
Most of them use CE armor which I don't like as it's too rigid.
I had already checked out the superstores and was hoping for some female real-world experience and recommendations.
I did contact First Gear about using the Kilimanjaro softer armor in their Contour Tex jacket, and they were very responsive, but indicated they do not modify standard products and the pockets for the armor were not similar anyways.
If you have any other brand suggestions I'll be happy to look them up.
So thanks fellow BMWers! Calvin

There is a thread here in the Womens forum I think that is about all manner of jackets and pants for women. If you can find that (sorry, don't know how to put in a link to it) that might help you in your search. There are several posts in that thread that give links to various manufacturers. You should also take a look at Aerostitch because they are now making women's jackets. http://www.aerostich.com/

If your wife is in the sizing category of Petite the search becomes a challenge as I have learned in the last few months (I am petite and of the older female matronly shape which makes things a challenge). The Petite category of clothing for women has everything to do with proportions relative to arm length, shoulder width, waist length, leg length. For example, the Monarch jacket by FirstGear fits me going around in a size large but at that point the shoulders are too wide by several inches on each side and the sleeves are several inches too long. This has been the case for almost every jacket I have tried at this point. None of the manufacturers will customize their gear with the exception of Aerostitch and Moto Port (http://www.motoport.com/). According to Moto Port's website and sizing tool they will make a fully customized jacket/pants for any customer and the measurements they ask for bear out this claim IMO. At this point I have 3 contenders left after trying on a LOT of jackets. They are: Aerostitch's new gear for women, the Kilamonjaro (sp.?), and the Transitions 3 by TourMaster. I believe that White Horse carries the last 2 items. I think the Motorcycle Superstore also carry them. You can find them here http://www.whitehorsegear.com/ and http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...esvid=333785&gclid=CMX6jt_zhrQCFcuZ4AoduBIAjA.

If you know her measurements I have in hand a jacket in a size small from Girl Gear apparel (who has gone out of business). The jacket is textile, waterproof, has a zip-out liner. It's just too small for me and I couldn't return it. I am currently using another jacket from Girl Gear and it works reasonably well. Kept me dry in some hellacious rain in late summer and I am a driver not a passenger. You can PM me if you want pics and other info.

Otherwise, good luck with finding a jacket! I'm sure she will really appreciate it and you're a sweet hubby to want to do this for her.

Cheers,

Louise

Womens Riding outfits

Do your wife and yourself a favor. Get her a custom 2 piece suit. Motoport Kevlar if you have the $$ or Aerostich Roadcrafter which is about $800. Work with either vender for a true custom fit. I got my wife the Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pant. Took her on a 7700 mile ride and she loved the suit and can't wait for next years ride. Don't mess around with too long pants or sleeves. Life is too short for ill fitting gear.

Most woemn I know want a better fit than you'll get from a stich or any men's gear.
Try looking at the Revzilla website with attention to RevIt stuff and some of the other mid to higher end stuff. The fits are better.

Thinking foam is any kind of protection is fantasy. Although some jackets come with it that should not, getting proper spinal, shoulder and elbow armor can save you some nasty injuries. I rather wish I'd had some armor on my elbow when I chipped a hunk off my arm bone years ago- I still pay the price for that one when the chip moves around near the joint. (Had nothing to do with motorcycles or I would have). Do you really want your spouse in compromised gear? There is modern armor that has minimal impact on movement.

Back