• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any Pilots Here?

Mu 2b

Of course my experience is mostly from the 80s when they were killing pretty regularly.

I flew MU 2Bs back in the late 60s when they were marketed by Mooney. I was a flight Instructor for the Cessna/Mooney dealer in Orlando. We only had one incident where one of those Garret grenades locked up on the boss fortunately he was at altitude and not on takeoff or approach. I always thought it was a great handling airplane and wondered why all the accidents started happening. Did anyone ever figure out what the problem was?

"quote"[Did anyone ever figure out what the problem was] "quote"

What I read was that the wing lift devices weren't properly configured by inadequately trained pilots when the airplane was flown on partial power. Apparently the clean wing doesn't have enough lift on partial power.

[gotta re learn how to do quotes with the new software - :confused:]

Last edited:
flyin'

PP SEL, Instrument, Complex, ~250 hrs

I'm going to finish up my commercial in the spring, which will also net me a BS in Aeronautical Science. It's been a long time coming.

Hopefully the FFA can get the rules written for drones in US airspace soon, so I can more effectively apply the rating and degree to my current employment :)

Cyclepilot......I think the FAA will do a better job:p

Golly, I hope NOT! With all the 'help' they've given, has anyone wondered if the guys who fail here end up in the EPA?

I know some great folks in Aviation, some are also in the FAA... but mostly, it seems they are working on their current 'job eval' cycles... like most of American workers.:hungover

There was an FAA guy doing a flight check of some sort with a Fed Ex crew at MSN back when i was working the ramp, they called for fuel and the copilot was doing his walk-around on the plane checking with me on how much I was putting in, and let me know the FAA guy was in the cabin. So I had to go up there, with the fuel slip for the cap to sign, I handed it to him and said "so you're from the Federal Administration Agency", he starts to correct me then realized what I had said and stopped and kind of scowled. The capt started to break a smile until the FAA guy stopped correcting me.

Uh...

... dare make a few drone operation "recommendations" in error, or write an innocuous "rule" and see how that helps your career
when a major incident occurs with an unmanned flying object! I dont know about the EPA; but FAA... in my 35 years in aviation,
only those with skill & intellect succeed.

"travel'in" John . Red 04R1150R
ex-fed FAA ... Airport/Airspace Safety & Control
ASMEL - Instrument / Commercial

Cathdeac

Cathdeac........believe me ....I concur.......was actually teasing OP on the "FFA" desig........I'm beginning to believe that any Gubmint organization that ends with an "A".......is truly disfunctional......ofcourse we have to add an "A" to the USPS....no???:laugh

Cathdeac........believe me ....I concur.......was actually teasing OP on the "FFA" desig........I'm beginning to believe that any Gubmint organization that ends with an "A".......is truly disfunctional......ofcourse we have to add an "A" to the USPS....no???:laugh

That's probably true for our Canadian members anyway, eh?

Rice Rockets

I flew MU 2Bs back in the late 60s when they were marketed by Mooney. I was a flight Instructor for the Cessna/Mooney dealer in Orlando. We only had one incident where one of those Garret grenades locked up on the boss fortunately he was at altitude and not on takeoff or approach. I always thought it was a great handling airplane and wondered why all the accidents started happening. Did anyone ever figure out what the problem was?

Jim....many were icing/boot related I believe....I never had that problem in Gulf Coast! : )...the other issue ( as I'm sure you know) is IF you have an engine failure, roll induced with the yoke will surely slow you down below Vmc near the ground...the only safe way to put "working engine down" is to "dial" the electric ailerons with the rotator knob beneath throttles......the yoke HAS to be parallel to the instrument panel darn fast......spoilers gotta be full retracted!!!!

Non-pilot here. Very interesting thread. From just my personal observation, I am amazed at the high correlation between people who are BMW riders and pilots...

I have, since my teenage years, wanted to get my pilots license. I even have a few books that I have read about flying. However, I have always been intimidated by cost. Now that I am older I am more financially able to pursue this dream.

My questions; how much does it generally cost to obtain a basic license? Is it still feasible to do so, even after 9/11? I live in a small, rural town in north central Ohio, what are my options for having a plane? What would be the "entry level" aircraft for someone who just wants to fly within a 300 mile radius, day time, good weather, etc.?

Sorry for any dumb questions, but consider the source... :scratch

Regards,

Chris

You'd want to check out whatever local airports you have there.
In my opinion if you can travel to an airport with a control tower in less than an hour it might be worthwhile. I learned at an airport with a tower and have talked to several who didn't and they express that they are hesitant to fly in to a "controlled" field, and you don't want that!
In the mid 1980s it cost me a couple thousand to get my private pilots license. I would probably double that today. The rental rates on aircraft seem to be double what I paid now. Oddly enough (LOL), the rates for the instructor seem to have frozen in about 1972.

I really enjoyed learning to fly in a Cherokee 140, this is a small low-wing aircraft somewhat comperable to a Cessna 150, which is a common aircraft trainer, or at least it used to be. The 140 is quite a bit roomier, you can "fit" 4 people in it, although it helps if 2 of them are kids. So sort of like a Porsche 911 in that regard (due more to weight than size). The 150 is on OK trainer but a 2 seater. Which is a fine thing for flying on the cheap, just to go out with a friend in. The more "useful" an aircraft the more it will cost to obtain and operate. Unless you buy a warbird, of course, heh heh. There are many different options out there, when I learned to fly the Piper Tomahawk was the cheapest trainer, but that was also a 2 seater like a Cessna 150 and I had heard the Piper Cherokee 140 was a better plane to learn it. I did get checked out in the Tomahawk and also have Cessna 150 and 172 time.
Many peole like myself will just rent an aircraft. rates can be given "wet" or "dry", meaning if you rent it wet they pay for fuel, or dry meaning you pay for fuel, just like a rental car. Most that I've seen rent wet. I fyou start flying alot it might make sense to buy one. It is a whole different world, as far as needing to rent a hangar or at least a place at the airport to tie it down (tie down space), and annual inspections which can be pricey. The of course there is also the homebuilt route. You caould also investigate a sport aircraft rating, in case you've never heard of that:
http://www.aopa.org/sportpilot/
That came out long after I already had a private pilots license so don't know much about it. Cheaper I know, there are some restrictions, smlaler aircraft, daylight only, things of that nature.
Gilly

You'd want to check out whatever local airports you have there.
In my opinion if you can travel to an airport with a control tower in less than an hour it might be worthwhile. I learned at an airport with a tower and have talked to several who didn't and they express that they are hesitant to fly in to a "controlled" field, and you don't want that!

Gilly

I have a slightly different take on this. I agree that a controlled field environment will aclimate you more quickly to talking with ATC but at a much higher cost. At an uncontrolled field, more of your flight time will be used flying rather than waiting for an ATC sequence for take off and landing. This is especially true at airports used by air carriers. Since you pay by the tenth of an hour, you can end up paying more to get the same quality time. You're charged the same for flying or sitting in a line of aircraft on the taxiway. The minimum time used to be 40 hours with most students getting more time than that to prepare for he checkride. I learned o fly on a grass strip in an Aeronca Champ which had no radio, or electrical system for that matter. I now fly a 737 for an airline. It started out as a hobby and morphed into a career. Take a few lessons and see how you like it.

Tower or no tower

I would say if the towered airport is class D airspace (towered, but still fairly small) and close by, use it. Otherwise just go with a non-towered airport. You can always fly to a towered airport and practice in the pattern (just mention "student pilot" and they'll go easy on you :)).

I did almost all of my training at Redmond, OR and Yakima, WA. Both are towered, but not all that busy, so sequencing wasn't really an issue. I'm more nervous flying into a busy non-towered airport than I am a towered one...

I flew Cessna 172's when I trained both my private and instrument. They are a bit more expensive than a 150, but still an excellent trainer, and they have four seats. Another really great trainer, and a much newer design, is the Diamond DA20. Operating cost is low, and they are fun to fly, or so I've been told.

As far as cost goes, I would figure on at least $9000 for a private pilot license:
40-60 hrs rental @ $100/hr (typical for a 172)
20-30 hrs instructor @ $40/hr
figure maybe $2000 for misc.: written test, examiner fee, medical exam, training materials, headset...

Of course prices will be different for the area, airplane, etc. You can always pop in at your local airport and just ask them; they will be able to give you exact pricing, and lots of advice :)

Thanks for the responses! I have talked with one of the local airfields, located in Tiffin, OH. I am going to stop by tomorrow and pick up a packet of information. They told me the average total cost was approximately $7,300. Sounds reasonable, yes?

The do not have a control tower. It's a small airport.

Another question. I am 49. I don't think that is too old to start flying, is it?

Finally, can anyone recommend a forum that I can join and hang out in to learn more?

Regards,

Chris McCarthy
Upper Sandusky, OH

too old? never.

49 is still young. You may be limited at that age if you want to start flying commercially though (mandatory retirement at 65 I think, have to look that one up again).

$7500 seems reasonable if you keep it close to 40 hours, and your rental fees are lower.

Check out the AOPA website. Lots of good information there. I don't know of any good forums off the top of my head.

Clear Skies & Tailwinds!

Chris:

Just a couple of comments:

1. As mentioned above, the volume of traffic at your local field will affect how many touch and go's you can do, and you'll have to do a fair number of them. So check into that with the school. Some fields have a quota of aircraft that they allow in the circuit.
2. Once you start training, you want to keep at it on a regular basis, because the acquired skills drop off quickly. Ideally, you would start training in the spring, train as much as possible through the summer, and try to get the license before the following winter. Flying when it's cold is no fun at all. I would try to get up two or three times a week.

Good luck.

I got my license on Feb 3rd (but not 1959, LOL). I thought the flying was fine in the winter, didn't have much turbulence at all like in the summer. They warm up fairly soon after getting airborne.

Thanks for the responses! I have talked with one of the local airfields, located in Tiffin, OH. I am going to stop by tomorrow and pick up a packet of information. They told me the average total cost was approximately $7,300. Sounds reasonable, yes?

The do not have a control tower. It's a small airport.

Another question. I am 49. I don't think that is too old to start flying, is it?

Finally, can anyone recommend a forum that I can join and hang out in to learn more?

Regards,

Chris McCarthy
Upper Sandusky, OH

Hi Chris,

You might look into finding someone who teaches in Light Sport Aircraft. It might be a lot cheaper in the long run especially if you are not wanting to go great distances. As I understand it you just need a drivers licence to be legal to operate one instead of a FAA pilot certificate. They are not just ultralites but just small aircraft meant for local flying. I think even Cessna makes one. Google Cessna LSA. Being a retired pilot I don't really care much about just buzzing around but I know there are lots of folks that get a kick out of it.:D

Jim in Alabama
Grew up in Vermilion OH

Back