• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1150 GSA Clutch Release Cylinder

warthog

I pulled my transmission to lube the splines and now that I have it mated it back up I'm installing the clutch release cylinder that I removed to get the transmission out.

When I went to insert the cylinder but can't get it all the way in and I can't figure out why it is not going all the way in and I don't want to force it.

Any ideas what is going on?

photo.JPG

Been there....
You need to re-align your clutch disk using a clutch alignment tool. I didn't have one and cobbled one together from a socket or something.

Edit:

On second thought...you don't mention that the transmission was removed. So I'm guessing the clutch actuating rod isn't oriented correctly. Long end into engine, if I remember correctly.

I pulled my transmission to lube the splines and now that I have it mated it back up I'm installing the clutch release cylinder that I removed to get the transmission out.

When I went to insert the cylinder but can't get it all the way in and I can't figure out why it is not going all the way in and I don't want to force it.

Any ideas what is going on?

photo.JPG

Before you go any further:
1) lube the little bearing with Hi temp wheel bearing grease before reassembling (I have done this on 3 separate occasions and am still on my original slave - 236,000km) They have very minimal grease from the factory.
2) strip back the foam cover of the supply fitting (bottom in your picture) so it does not touch the metal elbow (water will collect there from the other end) - they all rust there and the line will eventually spring a leak
3) Are you sure you have the pushrod the right way around? The small end with the shoulder goes toward the back. If you still have problems make sure the clutch reservoir cover is off and a rag covers it (fluid will squirt back when you push)

GSAddict: Thanks for the info.

1. I did not remove the pushrod, I left it in when I removed the transmission.
2. Where is the the little bearing you mentioned.
3. Yes I saw you post on stripping back the foam to check the metal connectos and plan on doing that as well.

Don

GSAddict: Thanks for the info.

1. I did not remove the pushrod, I left it in when I removed the transmission.
2. Where is the the little bearing you mentioned.
3. Yes I saw you post on stripping back the foam to check the metal connectos and plan on doing that as well.

Don

2) Right on the end of the slave cylinder The pushrod tip goes into it.
The pushrod spins when the engine runs. If the grease runs low or dries out, the bearing fails, the slave piston will turn and the whole assembly fails allowing brake fluid to migrate along the pushrod and eventually soaking the clutch plate.
Newer model pushrods in late 01 & on had a felt ring to slow the brake fluid contamination down although the slave will still need replacing.

I've replaced my slave cylinder twice and I recall that there was some pressure exerted by the pushrod against the slave cylinder bearing as I pushed the cylinder all the way into the cavity in the rear of the transmission. I assume this is the pushrod partially compressing the clutch diaphragm spring and pushing the slave bearing backward. My clutch fluid lines were disconnected when I attached the slave cylinders. If yours are attached this may produce a greater resistance to any movement in the slave cylinder bearing???

I've replaced my slave cylinder twice and I recall that there was some pressure exerted by the pushrod against the slave cylinder bearing as I pushed the cylinder all the way into the cavity in the rear of the transmission. I assume this is the pushrod partially compressing the clutch diaphragm spring and pushing the slave bearing backward. My clutch fluid lines were disconnected when I attached the slave cylinders. If yours are attached this may produce a greater resistance to any movement in the slave cylinder bearing???

The pushrod is moving the slave piston back against a internal spring, that is what you felt. There is no way you have the strength to partially compress the clutch diaphragm, nor would you want to.

Tried the grease on the bearing and it's still not seating. Wondering if I've got an alignment problem.

OK this is the best picture I have of how far in the pushrod needs to go in (sorry this was a failed slave document picture)
Does the pushrod go in this deep?

IMGP0907_resize.jpg

Here is a pic of how far in the push rod is in. I appreciate all the assistance. I'm getting ready to have surgery on my arm next week and I'm trying to get this buttoned up be for the surgery.

photo.JPG

Here is a pic of how far in the push rod is in. I appreciate all the assistance. I'm getting ready to have surgery on my arm next week and I'm trying to get this buttoned up be for the surgery.

photo.JPG

The pushrod looks like it's far enough in.
Are you sure you are not hydraulicing the slave?
Take off 1 of the lines and see if it will go in. The slave should push back with its own internal spring but firm hand pressure will overcome it.Then bleed the system.

Open the bleed valve and wrap it so a little fluid won't ruin anything. Then put the slave cylinder in place and push it forward. Install little bolts.

Jeez, Paul.
The simplicity of your reply is elegant.
Don't get a big head,though.;)
Jeff

Back