• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tenere; V Strom; Opinions please!

I had a Wee Strom that I kitted out for long distance touring, Carribou bags and top box, lowered front and rear for my stubby legs, a Sargent seat to replace the torture device Suzuki sells, bar backs , hand guards and heated grips.

I tried a couple of different wind screens but could not get passed the dreaded helmet buffeting. It was so bad I got blurred vision on the highway after a very short period of time, so i sold it.

I am told that Suzuki spent a lot of time and effort to correct the buffeting problem since so many complained about it. The 2012 model is supposed to be a lot better in that area now.

I would buy another after a good long test ride at highway speed to verify that.

I still have my '07 WeeStrom, fitted out with Givi sidecases and topcase, skidplate, crashbars, Madstad windshield mod, Centech fuse block, Stebel airhorn, SW Motech centerstand and probably some other farkles I've forgotten about. Got around 25,000 miles on it. Seems to be bulletproof. It's relatively cheap, can be farkled every which way and certainly is a decent commuter/dual sport. I do not like it for two-up, however. Just doesn't have the grunt. That's why I bought the GS. But I met two couples in Ushuaia who had ridden their WeeStroms all the way from Rio de Janeiro, so your experience may vary...

I have a 2009 Wee. Very reliable, but the aerodynamics are just so awful that I dreaded riding it (and this is after trying two seats, two windshields, three helmets, and a MadStad bracket and yes, I wear excellent earplugs!).

Anything above 35mph starts to thrum, drum, and buffet.

350 miles each way in a two-day trip to Portland pretty much decided that I needed a different bike; I dreaded coming back, and canceled the third day of riding in favor of going to the pub! I put more miles on my new RT in a few months than I put on the Strom in 3 years; I did 1200 miles in three days, and was daydreaming about taking it out for another ride on day 4. The ergonomics, comfort, performance, and aerodynamics are just incomparable.

If you aren't bothered by the turbulence, and you're not looking for performance suspension (I find it dives a lot and isn't all that stable), then the Strom makes for a great commuter or back-roads bike. Lots of Strommers have taken them on huge tours with great success. It's really moddable, and I find the gearing has a lot of pep (though too short for tons of highway time, IMO). It's an excellent bike for the money: ten grand for bike and some basic accessories can get you through several years of fun times.

I'll be selling mine soon, but I'm sure I'll miss it :)

I have a 2009 Wee. Very reliable, but the aerodynamics are just so awful that I dreaded riding it (and this is after trying two seats, two windshields, three helmets, and a MadStad bracket and yes, I wear excellent earplugs!).

Ultimate fix for me was MRA laminar screen and Russell seat. Some people have no problem with stock setup. You can find hundreds or thousands of windscreen and seat complaints in every motorcycle forum.

2012 model bike just needs a seat for most folks. Suspension is much better too and it doesn't feel top heavy like the previous design did.

A buddy just picked up a 2012 Wee Strom, he says the changes to the front end , fairing and screen made all the difference compared to his previous Strom.

Back