• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help identifying this frame please.

D

Dcompson

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here we go.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354386585.927290.jpg

The frame tag is stamped r60 and I believe it's an early 50's /2? But not positive.

That's a plunger frame for bikes before 1955. Due to the valve covers and battery location in the last picture, I'd say it is not an R68 but more likely an R67/3. I don't know why it would be stamped R60...R60s or even R60/2s never had those kind of frames.

Based on the forks, which may or may not be original to the frame, and the location of the engine mounts, it looks like you have an R25/2, or earlier.

Bruce -

Good eye...I was confused by the second picture of the twin cylinder and making suggestions off that. But the frame by itself does look like my R25/2 frame...the two tabs on the forward downtubes are right where the front of the engine attaches. Plus the two square-bossed holes along the bottom frame rail are where the rear engine mount bolt runs through. I have the same small rubber boots at the bottom of the forks.

Still confused why the frame is stamped R60...where...what does the stamping look like?

Sorry it took me a second to get to a real computer to reply to some of your questions. There is no way i would type this on my phone. I will upload a few more pics asap to shed some light on the frame. I have to say the picture of the complete bike is not mine, i was just throwing it out there as reference.

Now onto story time. I got the bike parts from my best friend in San Diego. His stepdad used to own a bike shop out in the desert of Ca back in the 70's. Well, he apparently loved bmw's, but he had really 'different' tastes in bikes and vehicles. And, coupled with the fact he was a hoarder made knowing him very interesting.

His shop was in the middle of the desert, and apparently, the BLM came in and shut him down. He got fed up with all the government interference and closed up shop. He took his entire shop, tools and all and put it all in a couple of big garages on his property in the desert. Over the years, my friend and i would go out there and kinda poke around. I knew about bikes, but had no experience with bmw's or very old bikes. Some of the bikes in the garage are a sunbeam, bmw r27's, a vespa scooter, lots of desert toys. Some kind of suzuki samurai thing. 3 cyl 2 stroke jeep looking thingie. Hell, he even had a little mini car. And, for everything he owned, he had new spare parts. For instance, my friend has a complete r27 that needs a wiring harness. (just rotted with age) And, a spare frame, rims, tank, and a new engine in the plastic.

Fast forward to today, my 13 year old son has decided he wants to become a motorcycle mechanic and he told my friend about it. So, my friend tells me he will give us the basket case r27 to build as a father / son thing. Well, i am excited when he arrives with a frame, forks, a swingarm with rear rim assy., and a new r27 engine in the plastic. So, i put it in the garage and just hang out with him for his visit. After he leaves, i start looking at the frame, and thinking something just dosent look right. I bought some books and learned it was a frame for a airhead. So, here i am with a very old plunger frame, and some r27 parts.

I am planning on a trip out to the desert house to pick up as much as possible now that i know what i am looking for.

Hope that answers some questions, and ill post a couple more photos in a little while.

Thanks again for the help.
Dave

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354466999.660447.jpg
Now, I'm pretty blind, but I'm sure this says r60 at the top.

The "R60" stamp on the easily removable metal frame badge on the steering head may or may not have anything to do with this frame found in a non-dealer's shop out in the dessert - back in the 70's these badges walked about quite a bit - saved a lot of paperwork and few cops knew anything about BMW bike models or other bikes for that matter. If you had a registration and could point to a badge many ordinary cops would not know a BSA from a BMW!

Make your best guess what bike the frame is for and then find out where to look under old paint for the frame stamping for that era - if they were stamped back then.

Well, You now that anybody can put something on a frame, as long as it fits.....

The frame number on my R25/2 is on the top of the top frame rail as it nears the rear plunger tower. IIRC it's on the right side. The engine number on my single is stamped below the cylinder on the right side. Then go to:

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/forum

and enter the number in the boxes on the left side of the screen. Just use frame or engine, not both. It will take you to the page providing basic specs of the bike.

Back