• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Socks or Insoles? (heated)

What are the intended uses beyond riding?
What kind of boot are you wearing?
Faired or unfaired bike?

For riding I prefer socks when I have used them.
I have used heated insoles hunting and had mixed feelings about them.

Alpine Star waterproof boots here. For regular commuting on my Roadster single socks are fine. An extended ride a thin wicking sock and a bit thicker sock and I have room to wiggle my toes and they stay warm. Heated soles are fine in some situations but I have experienced hot spots from pressure on the foot pegs. Socks worked alright but I have found no need/desire to replace them when they went I lost them in a move.

Living in NC and not seeing winter temps below low 20s, I've not found a need for any sort of electrics on my feet riding either my RT or K-GT. Just BMW All Around boots tht have enough toe room for some air space and Tech Sox, still my favorite overall and extremely durable if air dried after washing.

The key to keeping feet or hands warm is to keep the limb they are attached to warm so blood getting to the extremity is as warm as possible. So my riding pants for winter are insulaed and over a base layer of long tech fabric underwear- no heated gear there either but note my bikes are faired so have god lower protection. Up top I have an electric jacket on under my riding jacket- its heaed sleeves contribute signifcantly to keeping hands warm, and get a boost from S-7 Barkbusters that block direct cold air on my finger, helping the heated grips. Often I forget to turn on the heated sea- its a nice to have but not hugely important at the temps I see- but I might have a different atitude if I saw 15 degrees colder...

I'm sure there is a thread or two on this subject already. I like the insoles. Take the stock ones out of the boots and the Gerbings are no thicker. I hate the heated socks I've tried, the wires are damn uncomfortable.

I'm good for an hour and 45 minutes at 20 degrees F with no heat, but after that, the insoles do the job.

I just bought a pair of Gerbing heated socks. The only thing I have not been able to keep warm riding 600 to 800 mile days with temps in the 20s or lower are my toes. Riding the Interstates at 70mph with my best snowmobile boots & wool socks my toes hurt after three hours. I have been using the chemical heat paks but they are a pain to change every few hours.

This is my first electric gear & I plan on riding to Michigan for Christmas if the roads are clear enough. I'll let you know how they work. It will be 700 miles & I normally stop three times for gas & the second stop I'll eat lunch & that will be the only time I get off the bike & go inside.

Thanks y'all. Helpful.
My boots are almost as tight as my budget, not much wiggle room. I'm considering making my own heated gear, thanks to some very useful info someone generously posted on the Web. Gerbings seems to get the best reviews, also very pricey, and they apparently have changed their clothing and now they use heated "pads" in various locations. I'm not an eyewitness but there are a few irritated gerbings users who arent as pleased with the new stuff.

I just bought a pair of Gerbing heated socks. The only thing I have not been able to keep warm riding 600 to 800 mile days with temps in the 20s or lower are my toes. Riding the Interstates at 70mph with my best snowmobile boots & wool socks my toes hurt after three hours. I have been using the chemical heat paks but they are a pain to change every few hours.

This is my first electric gear & I plan on riding to Michigan for Christmas if the roads are clear enough. I'll let you know how they work. It will be 700 miles & I normally stop three times for gas & the second stop I'll eat lunch & that will be the only time I get off the bike & go inside.

I rode up to MI on Sat. Dec 22nd & rode home on Tue. Dec. 25th. The temps were in the mid 20s most of the 750 miles heading north. The temps riding home were a bit warmer.

I also bought a pair of T5 Gerbing gloves & used just one controller for them & the socks. Once I got the heat right on my feet my hands were just a tic too cool. My hands were not cold but they could have been warmer. I'll get a dual controller before the next trip. I was racing a storm to get home & never got off the bike once the whole ride home.

The nice thing about the heated gloves was that after I stopped for gas & put my gloves back on my hands were warm again in a few minutes. My toes & hands have never felt this good on a winter ride.

Back