• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cee-Baileys widscreen sizing

Bmandiego

I was reading the other post about the screws for a cee-baileys windshield, and thought I'd open a new post here.
I have a 2000 r1100rt-p.
I'm 6'0 tall.
My current windshield is really scratchy, so it's hard to see through.
What Cee Baileys screen would be a good size to replace my stock one? I suppose it would be nice to have the lip to kick the air over my head, but I'm not sure if it interferes too much with vision.
Any thoughts?

I had a Cee Bailey Euro Cut (the one with with the upper curve) on my 2004 RT and loved it. In the low position I could see over the screen with good, smooth airflow. Raising the screen slightly, I could still see over it, but was able to deflect most airflow over my helmet. In rain I could raise it all the way up and stay pretty dry. I will say the holes were misaligned on the first one they shipped. The second screen was fine.

I purchased the Euro cut windscreen this year. It was 5.5" taller then normal and I keep the seat in the middle position. I'm 6'3". The Euro cut is about a 1/2" shorter then normal due to the cut. You can always cut the windshield down, but you can't add to it.

I got a +5.5 for my R12RT and ended up cutting it down about 3 inches. I don't like to look through a screen in the twisties and it was too tall. I rarely, if ever, elevate it more than half way.

I replaced the stock screen on my 2004 R1150RT with a +6 +4 C-B Monster shield and couldn't be happier with it. At 6' 4" I can still easily see over it in the lower positions, and it still provides good air flow when all the way down. It's easy to find a position that is quiet at highway speeds.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/wsdesign3-5.htm

6' 2" 240 lbs.
First CB was the #2 +2.5 lt grey, sold to a buddy who was a little shorter than me and he still has it on his RT.
Second CB was a #2 +4.5 lt grey euro cut, excellent! But another riding buddy wanted that screen on his RT. so we made a deal and I ordered the #2 +5.5 lt grey euro.
Thanks to my cheap friends I have tested a few sizes and the 5.5 is the best for me!
Read the sizing information and if you want better air flow control go taller.
:bolt

I just recieved and tried out my new CeeBailey #2 Euro cut +4.5" for my R1150RT today. I am 6'2", ride with the seat in the middle position, and this heigth is just perfect for me. I look over the shield with my head in the wind in the low position, look over the shield with my head in dead air about halfway up, and look through the shield and in dead air with it all the way up.
Very quiet ride in the dead air, so I can't ask for more.

I used an "experimental" method; in my garage I taped a strip of thin (1/4"?) packing foam to the windshield and sat in my normal riding position. I started out around 23" high measuring from the center bottom to the top: WAY too high. Then using sissors I started cutting it down, moving the windscreen to the bottom to make sure that I could see well over it, then to the top to make sure that it would give full coverage. The +4.5 (18.5" center to top) worked just right.

I put a CeeBailey on a Kawasaki Concours years ago and used this same method to find its proper windscreen. Since it was not adjustable I wanted to get it right first time. I did.

Last edited:
Since it was not adjutable I wanted to get it right first time. I did.

Good method. But do keep in mind that it is very simple to cleanly cut plexi/acrylic to the size and shape you want. You can't add, but you certainly can cut material off a windshield to reduce the size.

Good note Rob.

There is a problem with that method on the CeeBailey #2 windscreen though; this model has a reverse curve at the top to push the airstream into a higher arc than a continuously curved windscreen. If you cut it down you lose the reverse curve either in the transition or below the reverse curve depending on how much you cut off, thus losing its advantage.

A downside to the #2 is that if you have to look through the section where the curve changes, you will see some distortion. That is why you want it to be sized right. Of course on the RTs the windshields are adjustable, thus easing that problem.

Yes, I cut about 2 inches off mine and so the reverse curve is there, though not as large as it was. But it is a good point. I'm suggesting trimming, an inch or so, as needed. Mostly I just want people to know you can cut these down w/o a problem.

I think I cut 2.5 inches off mine but I like it low as I never look through a screen.

Back