• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Green Grease

Walking Eagle

OH, NO! NOT ANOTHER QUASI-OIL THREAD!!!!!

Yes, perhaps so. I'm preparing to clean, re-grease and adjust my stem bearings -- not my first time.

I've currently got the aforementioned product ("Green Grease" - yes, that's the name) loaded into my grease gun, and intend to use Paul G's method (BMWON, Jan. '11) of shooting it between the races using a needle fitting. (Not implying that Paul has endorsed the grease, only the application method.) In the past, I've always "hand-packed" a heavier red bearing grease into the rollers, and have never used this product on stem bearings.

I guess this stuff is now heavily advertised, but that don't mean it's good. Naturally, the "pitch" makes it sound like the latest-and-greatest, with 30 years of use behind them. . .waterproof, synthetic, high temp, long-lived, etc. It is pretty unusual "feeling" stuff and is VERY sticky.

Seems a little "thin" but it sure sticks well to whatever you put it on -- interesting stuff, and must be available nearly everywhere if I can get it!

In a related question: Wonder if this would be a good (50-50) "mix" to put with Moly 60 (or equivalent) to grease both Airhead and Oilhead splines?

Q: Anybody have experience with, or knowledge of, this product?

As always, Muchas gracias for all the help and opinions.

Walking Eagle

Is it the BelRay waterproof grease (kinda green) or the the light green colored green grease?

Either one will work just fine. The steering head bearings aren't high speed bearings and IIRC on the side of my tube it's rated for wheel bearings. Lots of guys around here use it on their boat trailers.

I've been using that excellent green-colored BelRay Grease for some years, ever since I found out that pure Moly 60 isn't the best for spline lubes. Mix 50-50.

This is the GREEN GREASE (Brand Name), and looks a little like green yogurt - not an appealing thought.

Walking Eagle

W.E. this is the same brand grease that I used on our motorcycle trailer at Sipapu this year. I know that this is not proof but, on the way there I checked the bearings several times and found them very hot to the touch. In Lubbock I greased them with the Green Grease and ran the rest of the way to NM. Once there they were still hot, but not as bad. On the way home they were running much cooler. I realize that our trailer was brand new, thus the bearings and seals were tight, and the 2K+ trip broke them in, probably resulting in the cooler temps.

The grease seems thinner than the grease that came out of the bearings, so it may well be thinner. I am like you, I was concerned about its strength, but if it can support a 1.000 pound motorcycle trailer for thousands of miles, I think it would be good for head bearings too.

Wayne

It's good to go. Especially for steering head bearings. I use it all over the bike where things pivot especially since I spend time in the rain on the bike.

Some years ago I worked for Torco oil co, we made a product called Green Grease, it was made for the bogey rollers on snowmoble track supports. It had a very low freezing point and would not melt, it was a gel and had a high zinc content, it worked well for the application and a few others like U joints.

It was not good for roller bearings because it was a smooth gel and would not melt. Bearing grease need to be slightly fiberous, skicky, so as the bearing rotates it will pull itself into the bearing and create a film. Many of the smooth gel type greases squish away from the bearings and unless they have low melting point the bearing can run dry even while the hub has plenty of grease.

Look for grease made for bearings, it's generaly a longer fiber, skicky, with a medium melting point.

Back