• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K bike fuel tank

JOHNARISMAN

Can someone help me identify a fuel tank? I purchased it for a 1986 k75 and it wasn't right. The owner had no idea what it came off. So now I want to sell it and I'm not sure what to advertise it as. Pictures attached.

Much thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 219
Let's see a picture of the bottom. It looks like it might be a K1100 tank.

What's different from your tank?

:dance:dance:dance

Not sure if it would fit the RT as I can't see the battery cover tabs (might be there, just can't see them from this angle).

Won't fit the OP's C or a later standard as there are no prongs on the front for the radiator cover. Won't fit an S as the lower profile in the middle of the tank is wrong.

tank

Lostboy

Thank you so much for the input, much appreciated! Anyone else have any thoughts?

Going, going.:bow

Thunderdome

K100 (std., LT, and RS) 2Valve after 5/85
and K75 RT

Will NOT fit K1, K100RS 4valve, K1100 (any), K75 std, K75 C, K75S

Someone has altered the forward left nipple (fuel pressure regulator return). It should look just like the one behind it.

That port is as it left the factory. BMW was still using it for a check valve. The tank will work on a K1, but not a K1100RS.

K100 (std., LT, and RS) 2Valve after 5/85
and K75 RT

Will NOT fit K1, K100RS 4valve, K1100 (any), K75 std, K75 C, K75S

Someone has altered the forward left nipple (fuel pressure regulator return). It should look just like the one behind it.

OK, I'm fuzzy here but somewhere along here they had a filling with a ball check valve in the return line.

That's what I like so much about this forum. Ya learn something new every week.

Yep, once again lostboy is correct. As of course is Paul.

I have never seen a fitting like that on any of the Bricks I have worked on. I looked in the fiche and sure enough it shows the valve (even for K75Ss). That got me REALLY curious! I looked at all the tanks I have (about 10) on and off bikes. None of them had the threaded fitting. They all had the nipple, just like all the others I have worked on EXCEPT MY BIKE! Sure enough, mine had the valve. 3 of my Ss were made in the summer of '87. My C was made in July of '86, but my "first litter" S was made in May of '86. So, evidently, between 5/86 and 7/86 they eliminated the valve and the threaded bung and went with the nipple.

So that further narrows down what the tank is. Since they didn't make K75RTs prior to 1989, that eliminates them. The K1s didn't use the valve either and weren't made until '89. So that eliminates them for a different reason than I had originally thought (front mounts). That leaves K100 only.

Assuming that Bmw eliminated the check valve and bung across the board before 7/86 and the fact that the K100s changed their tank mounting in 5/85, that suggests that that tank was built between 5/85 and 7/86 which would mean that that tank is off a:

(Drum Roll Please). 1986 K100.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!:clap:clap:clap

Lostboy to the podium please!:bow:bow:bow

The color even confirms this as it is '85-'86 #618 Caribicblau Metallic.

Last edited:
Back