• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

High-Beam and replacement bulb

Olsensan

I've been searching around and have not found info on this subject but how is the high-beam bulb on a 2002 1150RT replaced? I have done the low beam bulb with no issues. Also, what is a good replacement bulb for the high-beams?

Not easily! You will need rubber fingers for a few mins.
I used the instructions in Clymer, which were fairly straight forward, too much to re-write here though.
One thing about it is the orientation of the lamp holder, which is held on by a grounding strap/tab. Mine was a bit warped and had to do some "de-warping" once removed. Its like a cylinder that holds the lamp AND holds the lamp in the correct orientation inside the headlamp assembly held on by the ground strap/tab.
Weird design.
And of course, dont touch bulb with bare hands. Good luck, and NO swearing!

It's a struggle. I take off the right side fairing and sit on the floor to get at it from underneath. Lots of light helps. Don't pull the bulb holder too hard when it hangs up or you will pull it apart. Lots of wiggling will set it free. Pay attention to the orientation of the bulb and holder as you take things apart.

Is an 1100rt the same? I was thinking there was one bulb with the 50/60 (or whatever it is) marking on an H-4. Why would just a low beam have the slash?

not owning an RT of any variety, i would suggest....

a) what does your owner's manual say?
b) what does it look like (either from the front or backsides of the headlight)?

i'm guessing this is one you can figure out yourself in less time than it takes to wait for a response to show up here.

Yes, there is one bulb for low and another for high. The low beam bulb is positioned aft of the high beam bulb. To access the low beam bulb, one must access it from behind the light assembly via a cover that can be popped off via clips. Since the high beam bulb sits forward of the low beam bulb, the guts of the light assembly need to be gotten out of the way. The windshield, and associated adjustment equipment needs to be removed. Its a PIA procedure that I just found in Clymers.

I tried to change mine out (04 RT) :bangheadand got so frustrated by that ground strap/tab that I ended up having the dealer do it for me, you need baby hands to reach up in there and I even had my fairing off

Also, what is a good replacement bulb for the high-beams?

To this question, I have found the GE Nighthawk bulbs to give improved performance and last as long as the originals - important when replacement is a PITA. I changed both high and low at the same time and experienced significant improvement. There are other brands which can offer similar performance but these were the ones on the shelf when I went shopping for brighter bulbs.

There are other threads along these same lines. Hope this helps.

Back