• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Right side kick stand

knotbob

I know I'll get some flak for this idea but after watching videos of heavy GS'es stuck in the sand or mud and finding out that there is actually a technique to lay the bike over to the right side and then drop the kick stand so that when you stand it up it will land on the kick stand, hopefully in a different/better spot, I'm wondering if anyone has ever rigged a right side kick stand so the technique would work in both directions?

It has been done for years. Some with only a right side some with both. Have also seen Police bikes with right side, side stands.

Never seen it, but maybe!

All my offroading years, never seen an opposite stand. Always a first for everything and I've clearly not seen it all. If I get stuck in a place badly enough, the extra stand is not an assett, imo. The work won't go away. Winches are another new phenom. Seen one yet? This is GSA'in, hardcore. Randy

I forgot where I saw it but yeah I saw a new portable "motorcycle" winch in one of the magazines I read. Seems like a neat idea though I'm curious as to how much it weighs and how much space it takes up.

All my offroading years, never seen an opposite stand. Always a first for everything and I've clearly not seen it all. If I get stuck in a place badly enough, the extra stand is not an assett, imo. The work won't go away. Winches are another new phenom. Seen one yet? This is GSA'in, hardcore. Randy

I know the work won't go away but at 55 my strength and endurance goes away much to fast. I used to do off road 4x4ing in south Georgia and Florida. I was young and dumb and thought getting stuck was fun but that doesn't seem like fun anymore.

Winch sounds good, but I have never dropped my bike under a tree... Does anyone sell sky-hooks? 64 y.o. on 650.

Motorcycle specific block and tackle: http://www.adventureengineering.com/index.php/products/available-products/ez-pull

In the middle of no-where, tent peg(s) may be needed for an anchor point - or this may not work at all in the desert. Plus, the user must know how to tie a knot and operate a block and tackle. However, for those inclined to such folly, the materials and construction quality seem good.

They also sell a hand winch: http://www.adventureengineering.com/index.php/products/available-products/bringalong

I have no idea how these products work under trail conditions.

Last edited:
I've used a come along to pull jeeps out of stuck situations before. They are slow as all get out but are cheap and well cheap haha.

Comealongs

Just wear your full face helmet when you're using it so if something breaks the cable and hook doesn't take your head off.
I have used them plenty and I never had 1 break but when it is wound up tight it will sure make me nervous.

Back