• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2003 R1150RT Warning Light

DUANEJOHNSON

2003 R1150RT Triangle warning lite comes on continuously when ignition turned on and stays on. Problem occurred at about 93000 miles and is still there everytime for about 2000 miles. ABS lite works normal. Brakes seem ok, but haven't had to use an emergency stop.

On mine (2004R1150RT) that means the brake light is out or is about to go out. It happened to me frequently. I tried going to OEM bulbs (or the bulbs they sell). Didn't make much difference. I started thinking about all the systems or wiring that could be faulty. Then I slowed down and cleaned the brake light contacts with alcohol and tweaked the spring. No problems since.

R1150RT Stop Lite out

Thank you. I had a Wal Mart boat trlr LED lite installed below my license plate and it's brake lite was so bright it looked like the main brake lite was working.

Keep in mind, you can blow a brake light, and the bike will increase voltage to the tailight when the brake lever is pulled to compensate. This, too, can camoflage a blown taillight.

Keep in mind, you can blow a brake light, and the bike will increase voltage to the tailight when the brake lever is pulled to compensate. This, too, can camoflage a blown taillight.

I know this is true on the R1200 bikes. I didn't think it was true on the 1150 non-canbus bikes as described in the original post.

According to my 04R1150RT Owners manual the brake will compensate for a blown tail light by lighting up at partial intensity. There is no mention about the tail light compensating for the brake light.

On my '04 1150 GS the brake warning light came on and I looked at both the rear light and bulb-everything appeared fine. The warning light went off for a brief time then re-illuminated. The second time I checked the the bulb it was obviously blown. I believe the system senses an increase in resistance before the bulb actually blows.

Back