• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice for 1995 R1100Gs -stripped bolt in head

Toroweap

Toroweap
I have a 1995 R1100GS with 69K miles. Unfortunately, a head bolt is stripped and the engine leaks until I get it fixed. Here is my dilemma: I want to sell the bike, but am not sure I can sell it as is or should I get it fixed and then sell it? Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The fix requires an insert (Helicoil, Timesert, Keensert, or such) be installed in the block. This requires that the head be removed, the cylinder be removed, and the insert installed. Installing the insert requires drilling and tapping. A jig or guide is highly recommended. I'd guess three hours in a reputable shop.

Selling the bike would require disclosure of the problem in my opinion. And I think that disclosure would cost more in the price than just fixing it and selling a sound bike. Maybe not but most folks are likely to assume the problem is worse than it actually is.

+2 Fix

I would walk (run!) form a bike that needed that work. Too much risk unless the price is a real low ball, almost salvage price. On the other hand as the owner I would fix it and ride it enough to assure myself it was fine, sell it and sleep well.

I would walk (run!) form a bike that needed that work. Too much risk unless the price is a real low ball, almost salvage price. On the other hand as the owner I would fix it and ride it enough to assure myself it was fine, sell it and sleep well.

Uh huh or sell it to me dirt cheap..... :dance

I would rather install a helicoil than screw with a clutch.

David

Thanks, everyone. I think I will fix it and sell it. I am told that it will probably cost $1K, but maybe it is worth it. I would rather keep the bike since it is a whole lot more comfortable than my v-strom 650, but I intend to go to Alaska again next year (third trip) and cannot afford to ride a bike that has already cost me a new final drive and now this.

Searched eBay and found:
145 matches found for: r1100 cylinder, BMW

Another possible option or at least grist for the "what-you-aught-to-do" mill on this forum.

Help me out a little, Head bolt is stripped. Is this one of the 4 studs that hold the head and cylinder on?

I would guess 1/2 day or 4 hours to pull the jug, install a helicoil and assemble properly.

I rebuilt the motor in my oilhead, its easy if you don't have to split the cases. One side is easier yet.

David

I've done a lot of helicoils into expensive equipment. I would just use a drill and hand tap it. Not that hard, and the risk of something going wrong is small. But, the risk of doing it wrong always exist.

One other option. Take the head off. Trail the bike to a machinist and let them install the helicoil for you. Probably charge you $75. Make sure you bring a head bolt to compliment the helicoil with. Otherwise you might get a SAE helicoil. If you remove the engine, a good machinist might come up with a better option then a helicoil.

Back