• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Additional taillights for the top case

darkstar1

I have wired up LEDs and they work fine. My plan is to have them light only when the bike is running. I thought that I had it wired up correctly, with a relay in the hot line to the lights and the switch wire going to the tail lamp. The odd thing is that the relay, without power (from the tail lamp) is allowing the new LEDs to light. Meaning that the relay seems to default to on. I know that I am hooking up the correct terminals. Does anyone have a how to or some suggestions to make this work? 2000 R1100R.

Thank you

ETA, I updated the diagram with SedanMan's information in case anyone else wants it in the future.

2z8w5qf.png

Last edited:
Power should be hooked to terminal 30, the ground should go to 86, hot lead from the tail lights to 85 . and the load should be on 87. If there is a 87a then that is the normally closed set of contacts, 87 is normally open.

Sedanman. thank you so much! That worked like a charm! :dance I was interpreting the instructions that I had incorrectly.

Back