• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

sparkplug terminal covers

ezwicky

hi all,

for some this might seem an elementary question, but i wonder whether i should use the sparkplug terminal post caps or not. the things that screw onto the ends of the plugs.

i just got a new set of plug wires and i don't want to waller out the mating part of the plug wire caps. but i did read somewhere, maybe in clymer's, about installing the screw-on post caps. so i'm not sure about the accepted procedure.

thanks in advance for your advice,

-eric

Some spark plug caps don't use the screw on part and some do. Thats why you can remove what you don't need. Without going to the garage, I don't think any of my bikes use the cap. You should be able to look up into the plug cap and tell if you need it.

If you're using the "right" NGK's - then NO, don't use.

Good to see that you're making progress.

Snowbum's articles are GOLD -- a little hard to plow throught, at times, but you should always cross-reference his info with that contained in your Clymer and Haynes. YOU MUST READ SNOWBUM VERY CAREFULLY, as one little word or phrase makes all the difference, and -- as you likely already know, both Clymer's and Haynes manuals have some outright errors (few), BUT -- they have many questionable "approaches" -- meaning, there are better (and often easier) ways of accomplishing your task. This is true, in part, due to the manuals attempting to cover several models of airhead, and they "forget" to point out that their advice ONLY applies to a particular model, or applies to a model with, for instance, points vs. electronic ignition or vice-versa.

We are all SO lucky to have so many resources available for old airheads. Personally, my fear of screwing something up drives my multiple inquiries and detailed research!

Keep on, and you'll have that 900cc's pumping power in no time.

Walking Eagle

This is somewhat off the subject, but it is related to ignition system.

images

12121243182.jpg

If you're still using the OEM spark plug terminals (above) I'd strongly suggest replacing them with NGK part number LB05FP; they're about $3 each at any bike shop.

0000-NGK-LB05FP---Spark-Plug-Resistor-Cover---.jpg

Not "authentic" in terms of appearance, but they are excellent in the performance category. Totally water proof.

Not "authentic" in terms of appearance, but they are excellent in the performance category. Totally water proof.

I have used the NGK plug caps on my POS snowmobiles, Jap on Bombardier I can handle. Hey, you can't see 'em under the hood anyways...

..but on my Airhead?? Not a chance. I know I should rise above the fashion angle, but NGK and BMW won't play on my ride:gerg

but NGK and BMW won't play on my ride

Then what else is there? :dunno I can't recall anyone suggesting anything else. For my R69S, I opted for some bakelite brown caps that Vech sells...not original but far better than the metal ones that I think were first installed, like those the Lew showed.

When I got my 1988 R100RS a few years ago, it had NGK spark plug wires on it. I just blacked out the NGK logo with a magic marker. :D

One problem I have is after cleaning with a spray hose at the car wash I have problems to start the motor: no ignition. I have to remove the caps, blow out the water and wait until the inside is dry. Then the motor wroooms again. :)

/Guenther

I just blacked out the NGK logo with a magic marker.

Exactly my solution to the aesthetics problem. I lost a few points at our Classic Motorcycle Show because of them, but I was able to argue that they were available "back in the day". But I also lost points because my /5 has an H4 conversion in it... Don't care... I can see at night, and it runs well.

Just asking.....whats wrong with the OEM caps?

Well, if you don't mind hanging out under a freeway overpass some rainy night, waiting for the spark plug caps to dry out, there is no problem.

From personal experience, read: You know it's going to be a long day... I replaced my old NGKs that I had had on the bike, when I did an update about two years ago, for no other reason than they looked "period". The new BERU's bit the dust after less than a year; their waterproofing is basically non-existent.

0828111721a.jpg

If you're still using the OEM spark plug terminals, I'd strongly suggest replacing them with NGK part number LB05FP; they're about $3 each at any bike shop.

I bought 3, 2 to use and 1 to keep as a spare.

The BMW ones are hard to find is a NAPA Store on Sunday when you need to get home!

Then what else is there?

I haven't replaced my plug wires for four or five years, am I to understand that the OEM leads are NLA??

Current ones were from either a dealer or Motobins, but are BMW AFAIK.

Have ridden through some torrential rain, one high speed slab soaker coming home from Bloomsburg comes to mind. No ignition troubles yet.

Aesthetics - NGK Caps

You can also grind/sand off the raised "NGK" and use progressively finer sandpaper to polish the area so that it looks as if the raised NGK was never there. . .just generic-looking black caps, nice and shiny -- no paint needed.

Painting them also works, but the above treatment takes but a few minutes, and - to me, looks a lot better.

Walking Eagle

When I got my '77 RS, it had blue spark plug wires and what looked like car caps on them; in other words, somebody went to an auto parts store and put together some new plug wires.

I replaced those within a couple of weeks of owning the bike with the aforementioned NGK wires. I could care less if anyone can read "NGK" on them. The fuel lines were also some cheap see-thru plastic tubing that has since all been replaced with the black, much heavier duty, fuel line tubing. Nothing like owning a motorcycle that was maintained from a hardware store.

Get the NGK wires, you won't be sorry.

Back