• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600GTL Starting Issues

I have a 2013 GTL with less than 1K miles and it just began having starting issues. I use premium gas (not the corner store brand either) and lately even when operating the throttle, it takes three or four tries to get it started. When I first got the bike, just hitting the starter would kick it off. Now, that method never works and operating the throttle helps but only slightly. It seems like it is not getting enough gas. This only occurs after it sits overnight (or when its cold). Any ideas? Dealer says it may be a software issue because gas in the US isn't the greatest especially in winter (with the change in blend). Thanks!

I have a 2013 GTL with less than 1K miles and it just began having starting issues. I use premium gas (not the corner store brand either) and lately even when operating the throttle, it takes three or four tries to get it started. When I first got the bike, just hitting the starter would kick it off. Now, that method never works and operating the throttle helps but only slightly. It seems like it is not getting enough gas. This only occurs after it sits overnight (or when its cold). Any ideas? Dealer says it may be a software issue because gas in the US isn't the greatest especially in winter (with the change in blend). Thanks!

I ran into a similar problem when my 1200GS was new. The dealer advised using some Techron to clean out the injectors, before bringing it for service. That was all it needed, and now I add some about once a month or so. Don't know if this will help with the K1600, but it's not expensive to give it a try.

I think the Techron is a worthwhile idea. There could easily have been some residue left over from the manufacturing and assembly of the bike components that has reached the fuel injectors. I have no idea what it might be but given the few miles on the bike at the onset of the problem I am suspicious.

My dealer warned me about using premium fuel and insisted the bike needed mid grade to help it run well.

Jeff Bernel
2012 K1600GTL

My dealer warned me about using premium fuel and insisted the bike needed mid grade to help it run well.

Jeff Bernel
2012 K1600GTL

The Owners Manual says to use 95 RON or 89 AKI as the "Recommended fuel grade"

In the US, our pumps are typically labeled with the AKI number which is the average of the RON and MON numbers which is why you see that cryptic formula on the pumps of ((R+M)/2).

That said, I've been running exclusively premium/super grade fuel in my K16GT and it runs like a champ with no problems starting or otherwise.

I had some issues a while back and dealer recommended the techron treatment and have had no further problems. Make sure is the concentrate.

Last summer my GT (with about 1000 miles on the odo) began to take more than a few seconds before it started. Then it took about 20 seconds and when it started I could hear it running on 4-5 cylinders until it cleared out. Finally it wouldn't fire at all. My experience was with different tanks of gasoline. The final time, when it wouldn't start, merited hauling it to the dealer. The dealer ran diagnostics and had to clean out the injectors and drain the entire fuel system. The mechanic showed me a sample and it did have a funny color, very dark. After the clean out, I had a hefty bill. Evidently, bad fuel is not covered by the warranty. And good luck proving bad fuel and then collecting damages from a fuel station 3 hours away without any receipt.

So they said it was bad gasoline, in spite of the Techron I put in when the engine started acting up. Perhaps it was fuel, but it was the same swill I ran in my F800GS with no ill effects. It is the first vehicle, gasoline or diesel that has clogged on bad fuel since 1978. The bike runs fine now.

The moral of the story is that your problem might be bad fuel. But I am only 95% convinced. I wonder if the other 5% probability was gunk in the original system that finally loosened enough to clog the system.

When trying to start cold give just a touch of throttle and see if that helps. the servo for cracking open the throttle for cold start may be malfunctioning

Good fuel

There is nothing wrong with US fuel in the winter. The winter adjustment effects the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP), but this is normal practice globally, not just in the USA. Be aware of Top Tier fuels sold by major service station brands (http://www.toptiergas.com/). These stations pay extra to use fuel additive concentrations that are better than government minimum requirements. These fuels have been evaluated by third party testing laboratories and they will keep deposits from forming and clean dirty intake valves and injectors.

Solution So Far

Thanks everyone for your input. I have about 8.5k miles on the GTL now and since using a few different injector cleaners, I have not had any issues. Starts immediately every time. I've used three bottles so far (about every 3k miles) Also, I still use premium gas with no issues.

Back