• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rain Gear

43Ejumper

Time for a new rain suit. Any suggestions on an outfit that really works but won't break the bank? Thanks, Bill..

Why not get a one piece suit (ex. Olympia Phantom) that is all in one waterproof and has zippered vents. Who wants to stop on the side of the road and put on a separate suit?

I became a believer in Frogg Toggs last month. I have a bunch of weatherproof gear, but decided not to take it on a trip to the Keys. On my return trip I rode for about five hours in some fairly nasty rain. I had on a Joe Rockett mesh jacket with a liner and put on my Frog Togg pants. I was absolutely surprised and impressed with the performance of the Toggs. They are cheap, light weight and pack easily. I just roll them up and put them under the netting on my top case. They are definitely my warm weather rain pants.

Frogg Toggs are pretty expensive for what they are and they're not very durable- but they work until they shred.A little bulkier to pack, too.
I prefer the good stuff meaning GoreTex, in as light and compact as I can find.
Over many years, sources vary but at present Cabelas has it- they sell pants in several lengths in each size so you can get the length needed for sitting on the bike.

On super hot and humid days, sometimes I choose just to get wet to get some core cooling...

A lined suit can work but you'll get it crapped up pretty quickly if you use a bike for daily commuting no matter what the weather- and that probably means more suit maintenance.

I've been exceedingly happy with my Frogg Toggs "Motorcycle" edition rain gear. I bought them online (eBay) for like 120 bucks. I have used them now for 3 seasons. Riding here in FL means that I wear them nearly every day from June through November. Rode through TS Debbie this past summer. Both my wife and I were nearly completely dry after 5+ hours riding in very hard rain. Would definitely buy them again.

Have had good luck with Frogg Toggs but this year finally shelled out the money for a gortex jacket and pants (Klim Latitude).

It was pricey but absolutely the best investment in riding I have ever made. Can ride all day in showery weather without constantly putting additional suits off an on.

If I were to buy again I would get the Klim Traverse jacket and pants with the D30 armour. The stuff is absolutely top quality gear and worth the premium price.

I just use army surplus rain gear. Effective and inexpensive. I also use the combat boots that I was issued as my riding boots.

After years of being a slave to separate raingear, I decided to invest in decent riding gear that'd keep me dry. I got a Teknic Freeway that keeps me warm and dry from September through April-May (good up to about 80-85 degrees). I wear either AD-1 overpants or Gerbing's Extreme Element pants during the same time period. If I get caught in the rain, I keep riding and I stay warm and dry. If it looks like rain, I don't stress about whether or not I need to stop and put on gear.

In the summer I wear an R3 jacket & pants (or Airglide overpants if I'm commuting). If it's above 90 and I'm not on my way to work, I'm rarely concerned about getting wet. If I really want/need to stay dry, the liners are in in the same amount of time it would take to put on an oversuit. The big benefit is that I don't have a big, billowy set of raingear flapping around.

And no, I have no problem stripping down to my skivvies on the side of the road to put the pants liners in.

I only have rain pants. My riding jackets are all Goretex, and so far, have managed to stay pretty waterproof.

The pants are Firstgear, and I like them a lot. I got them from newenough.com, now known as motorcyclegear.com. They roll up into a nice little ball, into their own case. I've always got them in the sidebag.

I wear my Aerostich gear. Roadcrafter pants with bib top and either the Roadcrafter jacket or a Darien jacket.

If it is going to rain so long or so hard that this is insufficient, then see Post #11, this thread.

Back