• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Mexico-Here I go Again!

kantuckid

I'm thinking of a Jan/2013 trip- anybody interested in ride partnering? I've never found one here yet but as they say never hurts to try.:)

I'm thinking of a Jan/2013 trip- anybody interested in ride partnering? I've never found one here yet but as they say never hurts to try.:)

http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3904.0 kantuckid: You can ride with AZ Beemers either North or South on the Baja California Peninsula; or both. We depart Phoenix on Friday, January 25 arriving in Cabo San Lucas on Monday January 28, we then head back to Phoenix on Friday, February 1 arriving in Arizona on Monday, February 4.

Thanks for the PM/link Beemerdons. I am thinking to leave before your group.

WP: PM me if you were asking my itinerary,thanks.

Would definitely be interested in something on the Baja. Clear Tijuana by noon on day one then on down to Ensenada. Night in Ensenada, then on south toward Baja.

If our plans for Baja come together, I will not enter @ Tijuana as I'm in KY.It would be easy to meet in Baja after entry as there are very few paved roads. We are thinking approx. a week in Baja then I'd take my wife to the AP & I'd ferry to mainland.If it turns out that we don't go to Baja then I'll likely enter @ Eagle Pass or other spot.
Windypoint expressed interest in Copper Canyon which is too snowy for me in January but I'm open to other routes. I lean toward either of these: the Pacific coast & southward or perhaps westerly then maybe Tamazanchule and then south. Both offer some of the best roads/scenery I've seen/ridden!
It's been mid 60's here in E. KY(had one snow so far) so hard to get hyped for heading south right now.

Well now that it's actually cold in KY, I'm a bit more into Mexico riding. In looking @ the map some I've drawn the same conclusion as previously-Baja just isn't worth the 2,200 miles+, one way to Mexicali crossing for me & then of course it's another 1,000 to LaPaz. For people in SW(& off roaders) it is a great destination,just not for me & I've been there before- 4 times.It's forgo Baja on bike & head for Eagle Pass or Reynosa & then down for me.

Last edited:
My "plan"(what there is of one) now has my departure near mid-January from KY & ride generally toward Toluca,MX to hook up with a friend/rider there, then all ride together on to Guatemala for more touring-all on pavement for me. I'll be somewhat open to the route in Mexico but I do have my favorite rides/spots that I'd like to pass through enroute. PM me if you're ready for some sunshine & curves.

My plan was riding to Cabo and La Paz, then the boat to Mazatlan, and down to Zihuatanejo. At xmas & 1/1, roughly.
Now I have no idea when my departure date might be. But I'm still thinking that I want to go thru' Baja again.
I never had a problem crossing into Mexico at Tijuana. But I will only return by way of Tecate, or Mexicali. Mexicali, motorcycles cut to the front of the line (per US Customs word).
dc

As I stated above, I just decided that the extra miles past my regular Texas border crossing (to get to Baja) it's just not worth it to me coming from the east. It's ~ 1,350 to Reynosa from my house &~2,200-so another couple days ride to Baja/Mexicali crossing. I'm never in a hurry on these winter rides, but can ride a lot of mainland Mexico for the same miles in better riding locales(mountains galore),IOW, not all desert & buzzard country after the northern layer of Mexico mainland, plus gives more time in Guatemala. We are doing a fly & drive to Baja soon and I've been there before so I changed my mind to do mainland Mexico & GT. Belize is a possibility too.
At this point I have nobody thats partnering with me until Toluca,MX. I hope to get away ~ Jan 15th

If someone leaves from just north of San Diego, which entry point you would recommend to go to Cabos - Tecate or Tijuana?

I know Tijuana is worlds most crossed border, so it would be busier than Tecate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MexicoÔÇôUnited_States_border_crossings

Montauk, if you live in downtown San Diego directly above the San Ysidro crossing it does make sense for you to cross there. But if you're coming from any farther north I highly recommend you use Otay Mesa crossing six miles to the East. I had bad experience in TJ!

However the Tecate crossing is just 40 miles East of San Ysidro and you will make up the time with the speed with which you can cross over at Tecate, versus doing it in Tijuana.

In 63 years, I have never seen any wait heading south. The only wait time I ever saw was heading north. And I have seen photos of 4 to 6 hour wait times at ... Tecate.
dc

Montauk, if you live in downtown San Diego directly above the San Ysidro crossing it does make sense for you to cross there. But if you're coming from any farther north I highly recommend you use Otay Mesa crossing six miles to the East. I had bad experience in TJ!

Don, thanks for your quick reply. I did not know of Otay Mesa crossing. That's another good option. Based on your web link, Tecate is lot less traffic even when compared to Otay Mesa.

I live in Irvine, CA ... about an hour ride north from the border.

Don, thanks for your quick reply. I did not know of Otay Mesa crossing. That's another good option. Based on your web link, Tecate is lot less traffic even when compared to Otay Mesa.

I live in Irvine, CA ... about an hour ride north from the border.

What makes Tecate especially nice for me is the ease of picking up your Mexican Tourist Permit Card and close proximity of a bank to pay for it. At Tecate the MEX Immigration Office is right at the crossing with secure parking, not so in TJ. Decade ago my R1100GS was vandalized there with small items stolen off of it!

When I ride Mexico I am always so far South and for so many days I require the Permit. Just three blocks South of the Tecate Station is a BanaMEX where I pay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CERTIFICADOS DE NACIMIENTO DE MEXICO, GARANTIZADOS
Mexico has a tourist fee they charge visitors. If you are either staying in Mexico longer than 72 hours or traveling past the Border Zone you will need to pay the Tourist Card fee of roughly $25 US dollars. The card, known as the Migratory Tourist Form (FMT) is valid for six months (180 days) with multiple entries. Make sure you ask for the full 180 days even is you plan to stay only a short time. You never know if you may return in those 180 days.

In Baja California, the border zone has been extended to San Quintin, on the Pacific side and San Felipe, on the Sea of Cortez. Sonora state has extended it's border zone to San Carlos. In mainland states along the border, this includes a 16-20 mile zone south of the border. Some areas have "tourist corridors" such as Baja, please check with the Mexican Consulate in your area.

According to the law you must have the Tourist Card on you while traveling (make a copy if possible in case original is lost). You can pick up a card at the border, just stop at immigration as you cross into Mexico, parking is available. You must have either a current passport.

Immigration will not take money for the card, you must go to a bank. You can also pay the fee at any bank in Mexico, where upon they will stamp your Tourist Card paid. You must then go back to immigration, or the next immigration office in the next town you visit, and have them stamp your card as valid. Make sure you do this right away, do not wait until your trip is half over. Your best bet is to take care of all of this at the border.

Last edited:
Well, in April, in Tijuana, at the border, at immigration, I got my tourist card, immigration took the money, gave me the card, maybe 6 minutes, my bike parked right outside the door, not even sure I took off my helmet, back on the road, no one anywhere at any time ever asked me for the tourist card. Nonetheless, I had it.
I don't know. Maybe you guys don't speak their language, or something.
dc

Back