• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to dismantle 75 R90/6 rear shock

BARBERSHOP

Hi, I need some advice on removing my stock BOGE rear shock springs, I have a 75 r90/6 and plan on cleaning the shock bodies, soda blasting and painting the springs, polish the aluminum sleeve, then all back together.

How to hold and compress the spring? How to remove the top shock mount and alum. sleeve?

Thanks
Greg

It can be done in true shade tree fashion:

Or, you can take a more mechanical approach.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=55445&highlight=shock+compressor

Once you have the aluminum shroud compressed far enough you will see the flat (10mm iirc) on the shock strut. Put a wrench on the flat and unscrew the aluminum shock mounting "eye" (#2) on top. When you are ready to reassemble, make sure you have the eye threaded all the way on to the shock strut. The tension of the spring against the mounting eye is the only thing holding the aluminum shroud in place.

MicroImage.aspx

Last edited:
fwiw- that stock shock absorber is crapped out. it's dead by years (nearly 40 years, at this point), and (probably) dead by usage, as they only had a functional life of maybe 20K miles, even tho most rode them for more than that.

I'd suggest getting entirely new guts, and figure out how to install the stock covers over them (if you care about appearance). If you only care about appearance--- do whatever floats your boat.

Given that there is minimal collector's value to a standard /6, i'd just buy new shocks (Hagon, Ikon, etc), and ride the thing like that.

Given that there is minimal collector's value to a standard /6, i'd just buy new shocks (Hagon, Ikon, etc), and ride the thing like that.

Tell that to the "STANDARD" /2 folks as they merrily go all the way to the bank as they sell their so called "collector" that they worked to keep as stock as possible.............Every pig has it's day to become a rose........God bless.....Dennis

Make sure when you're reassembling to lock tite the upper eyelet to the shaft or it will unscrew itself.

Make sure when you're reassembling to lock tite the upper eyelet to the shaft or it will unscrew itself.

I would be having no personal first-hand knowledge of that particular sitchiation ... . :whistle

Back