• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

work stands

Lights

I have a lift should have gotten one years ago. Anyway, slight change of subject. My problem is I can't see,not enough light and tired of dragging around a trouble light. Anybody have a good setup ? Would like to see some.

My problem is I can't see,not enough light and tired of dragging around a trouble light.

I know this will seem obvious, but they really do work well in the shop; never a shadow, and the light is where you need it. Mine has incandescent, LED, and red.

2126525_120720113048_headlamp1.jpg

I got quartz halogen lights from Menards.They are 4 footers and are 750 watts on low or 1500 watts on high you change pulling a chain out of the fixture. They work in cold temps unlike those 4 foot neon tube lights.There are two per fixture and the bulbs are replacable .You get a very bright white light that leaves little to no shadow and you can aim them up and down by 60 degrees.I've no problems with them for over 10 years using them and I only changed the bulbs once.

I welded this one up in about 2 hours;
IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

Cost was around $75 for the steel, with the top plate costing the majority of that. It's much lighter weight that a wooden equivalent and can be stored standing up on one end like this;
IMG_1221.jpg

We use it as a build stand at the shop where I keep my welding equipment. A scissor jack is used under the bike when needed.

shop lights

I got lucky and found a pair of light trees at a thrift store for about $10 dollars. They each have two light fixtures about 18" apart , stand about four feet high on a telescoping pole with three folding legs splayed out from a point close to the bottom. Originally, when they came from whatever big box store, they had 500 w halogen bulbs, but those fixture parts were removed by the PO and a standard light socket was installed. They now run those new twisty fluorescent bulbs that use very little electricity. They are easy to move and you don't have to hold them. They never overheat or cause fires. (like I had happen on the job with a halogen bulb many years ago.):bolt

Back