• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Fuel reserve

a330boy

My manual says my ST has 4.2 gallons of usable fuel. It then says it has 1.1 gallons of reserve fuel. So, is the reserve included in the "usable fuel" or do I actually have a total of 5.3 gallons?
Also, how does one access the reserve fuel, or is it an indication on my multi-function display? On my old Honda ST1300 when you got low on fuel the MFD would count down the miles till empty.
Thanks in advance. Doug

My manual says my ST has 4.2 gallons of usable fuel. It then says it has 1.1 gallons of reserve fuel. So, is the reserve included in the "usable fuel" or do I actually have a total of 5.3 gallons?
Also, how does one access the reserve fuel, or is it an indication on my multi-function display? On my old Honda ST1300 when you got low on fuel the MFD would count down the miles till empty.
Thanks in advance. Doug

You only have a total fuel load of 4.2 gallons, the "reserve" is included in that total. It is not a separate reserve; being "on reserve" merely signifies that your fuel level is down to the final 1.1 gallons in the tank. BTW, I've heard that the 1.1 gallons of reserve is only an approximation, some bikes seem to have a tad more, some a bit less. I recommend you determine (w/o actually running dry) precisely how much YOUR bike has before you trust it completely.

It then says it has 1.1 gallons of reserve fuel. So, is

I'm not familiar with the computer on the ST, but most of the new BMWs will show a yellow triangle and maybe a flashing symbol of a gas pump when you hit the 1.1 gal reserve. On my K1300S the computer display will then switch to remaining range to empty.

What everyone above said. I've found my ST's trip computer to be fairly accurate as far as remaining fuel range goes.

What everyone above said. I've found my ST's trip computer to be fairly accurate as far as remaining fuel range goes.

Perhaps you've not had to push a bike to a fuel station? Lucky. I have pushed once too often (and gotten lost once too often because of a GPS), and thus I am very distrustful of ALL electronic gadgets. Call me old-school.

Old School :bikes

HAHA I don't blindly trust it I know how far the bike will really go as I've tested it. My bike will regularly go past "0" and still keep going. Every bike is different and you need to find out what your bike and equipment can and can't do BEFORE you trust it. I have so I do trust my gear.

Back