• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Crossing the Midwest and Plains

I'm looking hard at US 26 for most of the route. It seems to pass through some WILD geology along the way.

Thoughts?

I live just off US 36 in Ohio and just south of US 30. Both are interesting roads I have used to go west.

US 30 is a more mixed bag. You get into city traffic as you go south of Chicago.

Give thought to US 12 past Minneapolis. The section across Idaho is one of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on.

hmmmm Yummmmm 14a, It is a very nice road, I would also suggest 16 over the big horn Mts. just a little south of 14a

What are traffic conditions going to be like in the middle of July as US 14 approches Yellowstone ? I'll be heading west should I bail out before I get close somewhere around Cody?

How to get to the Rockies

West to the Salem Rally and back home to Vermont again. From the Rockies to the coastline I have it all figured out, but oh the great flatness! Barley and I have taken 24/224 from Iowa to Ohio. It wasn't too bad. We made good time, there wasn't much to see but there also weren't many towns forcing us to slow down for a phalanx of stoplights. We also took 50 from WV to MO, but while the highway itself was okay it managed to get gobbled up by Interstate or passed right thru major cities, both of which I try to avoid.

Two I have not yet tried are US 30 and 36. Am also looking at 24 as far as Peoria IL, then either 34 or 136 to the NE corner of Colorado. The goal is to get the flat stuff behind me as fast as possible without actually slabbing so we can maximize our time out West.

Any recommendations for one route over the others?

Pete

I have a suggestion for you based on a number of trips west from Ohio and Pennsylvania that I have taken. Take Rt 20. If you do you will make great time and you will also discover something about crossing the central US that your post suggests you may not have not yet experienced.
I suggest that you hop on Rt 20 at Dubuque Iowa. Then soak in the thrill of riding across The High Plains. Treat your self to the Field of Dreams movie site at Dresden. The rolling hills west of Sioux will be green and lush. The great expanse of western Nebraska is simply magnificent. Chadron is an oasis town with lush meadows, a small college and has the Museum of the Fur Trade on Rt 20. Did you know that Nebraska has several National Forests? You will pass by them. Stop at Fort Robinson just west of Chadron, you will be blown away by the story of this fort. There is camping here as well as rooms in the fort. Eat in the officers mess. You could stay on 20 all the way to Salem if you wish.
I have ridden to the West some 20 times and it took me a number of trips to discover that the High Plains offer great riding and an experience offered no where else in the world!! This vast area is full of hidden treasures and is much more than simply a place that must be crossed to reach the mountains.
I will be on this ride to Oregon departing central Pa July 12th. Enjoy!!
By the way, Rt 36 is great also. In fact I have often used 20 and 36 to make a loop out of western trips. However Rt 20 is the more interesting in my opinion.
Happy trails Barley!

Don't forget the awesome motorcycle museum at Anamosa Iowa.Worthcarving out time for a stop.

Back