• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmets won't save you in 30+ MPH crashes

HRbiker

Erie County (PA) Coroner Lyell Cook recently stated that if you're involved in a crash over that speed, no safety equipment will save you, including helmets.

Geez, I think I've had friends who were going 20 MPH on bicycles and crashed and were OK.

What's even more troubling is since PA doesn't require helmets many riders may elect to have none of the gear, all the time

Erie County (PA) Coroner Lyell Cook recently stated that if you're involved in a crash over that speed, no safety equipment will save you, including helmets.

Geez, I think I've had friends who were going 20 MPH on bicycles and crashed and were OK.

What's even more troubling is since PA doesn't require helmets many riders may elect to have none of the gear, all the time

Coroner is an elected position. In this case, the coroner was formerly a mortician.

As such, consider the source of information

I hit a deer at over 60 Km/h (40mph) and while I did not get away without injury, my gear did protect me well. The suit, gloves and hemet were significantly damaged but saved me from much worse injuries. This fellow does not know what he's talking about.

I doubt he is any expert on crashes in general and motorcycle crashes in particular.
What I would think he means is a blunt 30 mph force, he is probably right, but there are so many variables in a crash in the real world, glancing blows off objects and pavement for example, where even if you are doing a much higher speeds than 30, doesn't equal a force of 30mph "head on into a brick wall". They got some ABATE-member coroner there?

Gee, that must be the reason that we see SO many deaths in AMA, MotoGP, MRA and all the other levels of racing where helmet use is required. :scratch

what a maroon. unfortunately, too many may actually take his word as gospel.

One article where Mr Cook doesn't comment much on helmets, but is quoted:
http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100912/NEWS02/309109889

One where he is quoted saying helmets "probably" don't help at over 30mph:
http://www.mymotorcycleaccidentatto...-prevent-motorcycle-accident-fatalities.shtml

Here is a brilliant quote from him:
"A very good portion of these accidents tend to be motorcycles versus vehicles,'' Cook said.
Ummmmm..........

From this article:
http://www.goerie.com/article/20121...torcycle-fatalities-up-in-Erie-County-in-2012

Lets call the AMA, moto gp, nascar etc. and let them know the racers don't need helmets anymore, I am sure they will be elated :D

The Coroner is a moron to make such a statement. Remember the main force vector is the 6' fall caused by gravity, the forward speed force vector really does not factor in unless you hit something while sliding, or tumbling

okay. if you read his entire quote, you realize what Cook is actually saying, which is that above 30 mph you're most likely to die from internal injuries, rathe than a head injury. given the number of potential objects one can hit, get impaled on, slammed against.. it kinda makes sense. cherry-picking his quote to sound like he is saying "don't bother with a helmet" is really pretty lame- the guy sounds like he is actually more of an anti-motorcycle guy than an anti-helmet guy. quoting someone out of context sure changes the meaning, doesn't it?

one thing that's important to remember....

...90% of all motor vehicle accidents occur within 10 miles of home. that's why its critical to get as far away from home as fast as possible when starting a trip.

I've watched numerous motorcycle racers walk away from crashes at three times that speed at Road America, where I'm on staff as an instructor.

Ignore him and move on.

Gee, that must be the reason that we see SO many deaths in AMA, MotoGP, MRA and all the other levels of racing where helmet use is required. :scratch

what a maroon. unfortunately, too many may actually take his word as gospel.

Just the liberal media - makes for flashy headlines. :deal

Ignore them and move on.

Last edited:
The liberal media? Let us guess - hard rightwing media has more people that have actually fallen on their heads? ;)

Seriously, it would seem that helmet issues aren't exactly a political discussion.

This begs the question; at what speed do most motorcycle accidents happen ?

You can find the most detailed data on that statistic in the European "MAIDS" study; which is a recent in-depth study of motorcycle accidents: You can access the data tables here: http://www.maids-study.eu/data_tables.html (You may have to create an account to log into the actual crash study pages).

However, these are stats based on the European riding environment, so the data may or may not be valid for the U.S.

DOT studies say about 27 percent of motorcycle operators killed in crashes were speeding. (Source: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/810834.PDF)

I do a lot safety-related work and research in the industry, so here are some more stats to think about:

- The most common location for crashes involving a motorcycle and another motor vehicle (4 or more wheels) is at intersections. The usual scenario is the other vehicle turning left into the motorcyclist's right-of-way. We probably all know this one... (Source: MSF)

- Here's one you may not know. Approximately 40% of all motorcycle fatalities occur because the bike ran off the road. The most common location for this is in a curve/corner. The usual culprit: too much speed. (Source: MSF)

- According to another recent European study, if you do crash, the chances are 62.8% that your initial head impact will occur somewhere in the front or side facial region.The study goes on to say 34.6% of those total first impacts will be in the chin bar area. Kind of makes a point when you think about how many riders wear open (3/4) helmets or less, doesn't it?. (Source: http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=1124566)

There are lots of other, sobering statistics out there and a little research will find them. Do some reading and you won't get on a bike again without ATGATT.

Back