• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT vs Concours 14

landcruiser15

Last year I purchased a 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 which is a great bike but this spring I found a 1997 R1100RT with 7000 miles. I found that virtually every time I went for a ride I chose the BMW even though it has a smaller power plant, one less gear, and no cruise control. I need to sell one of them and the R1100RT seems the most likely but I can't seem to do it. Any thoughts out there to help me decide?

It sounds like you've already decided. If you are choosing the BMW for almost every ride, hang on to it.

Last year I purchased a 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 which is a great bike but this spring I found a 1997 R1100RT with 7000 miles. I found that virtually every time I went for a ride I chose the BMW even though it has a smaller power plant, one less gear, and no cruise control. I need to sell one of them and the R1100RT seems the most likely but I can't seem to do it. Any thoughts out there to help me decide?

Stop worrying about brands. Just go with what feels right.

As Irish pointed out, It seems your brain already decided.

Personally, I think it's best to have at least two bikes. So when one is in for service or when a good friend comes to visit, you're covered.

Jim

well,

R1100RT%20Glacier%20Green%20(1).JPG

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/and-the-weather-gods-smiled-14938.html

2008-Kawasaki-Concours14b.jpg

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008models-Kawasaki-Concours14.htm

tough call but when in doubt keep the beemer,

me, i wouldn't own a bike i couldn't see through.
image.axd

Last edited:
Well, the Connie 14 is one of the best sport tourers around, for covering great distances at high speed, in high comfort, but I've noticed a few posts by guys who have transitioned from them into other bikes.

I wonder if it's their weight, or the heat they throw off.

Last edited:
It's Natural . . .

One of the finest things about an Oilhead is that you never forget that you're on a motorcycle. Some of these more modern rides can be SO smooth, so powerful, so electronically-enhanced that "something" gets lost in the process. Of course, my "other" bike is an Airhead, so consider the source.

That RT will take you anywhere you want to go, and you might avoid a few speeding tickets. Those 14's are hard to hold down.

Walking Eagle

I agree, I think the OP did answer his own question.

Keep the bike you ride the most.

I've thought about the new Connie 14. But it's quite a bit more bike than I need, while an oilhead is about exactly the bike I need....at least for now.;)

I've got a 2009 Concours 14 and while it is my go-to machine for getting someplace (in a hurry), I found myself looking for something with a little character. And after selling my 1150GS I found that I missed the boxer. So I just purchased a 100/7. It's OK to have more than 1 motorcycle. Unfortunately the C14 has not held it's value and they are being sold for a song. Good luck with your decision.

Bought a 2008 C14 in fall of 2007 for $2,400.00 under retail list and it still cost me 6 grand to own it for two years. Thing was crazy fast but found myself barely using the motor to its potential and it was a heavy pig with a lame(first year) suspension. Sold and replaced with 2009 RT, which is a keeper. Only miss the C14 when I need to pass 3 cars at a time.

I came from a 2009 1400 and am now a very happy owner of an 09 RT. The concours was far, far too hot and too heavy. The BMW is much more enjoyable, and relaxing. It all depends on your needs.

I sat on once at the Long Beach show last year. I tried to tilt it up off the side stand and decided not to. They are VERY heavy. I wonder who the CHP is getting along with them.

If you prefer to ride the BMW, I don't see it being too hard of a choice. The other side to the argument, in my mind, is a question. How easily can you undo your decision if you decide you went the wrong way in the middle of next summer? How hard will it be to find another Connie with the same miles / in the same condition? How hard would it be to find another R1100RT with 7000 miles?

Another thing I would consider is service. If you do your own work, it is kind of a mute point. If not, how is your access to mechanics for each bike?

I guess the final straw may be the $. If you are cutting back to one bike for financial reasons, how much can you get out of each one vs. how much do you expect to spend on servicing them?

At the end of the day, each of us is different and or priorities are our own. I don't need the power of a C14 and I love the character of my RS. That siad, I was actually looking for a K1200RS when I stumbled onto my R1100RS. A friend that I ride with loves his ZX-10 and ride all day in a position that would kill my knees. Another guy has a C14 and is able to throw it around like a 600. Pick the bike that works for you, that makes you want to get out and ride. Just be sure you won't be without a bike because nobody in your area can fix it or because the decision of which one to keep left you unable to buy tires for it.

Back