• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'95 K75 Poor MPG

argent brick

Well I finally checked my MPG and it is not very good. In town and highway combined is only about 30 mpg. I normally run Shell or Chevron fuel, so it is not that I use cheap gasoline.

My bike is really cold blooded, REALLY COLD BLOODED, and will also die sometimes when I roll off the throttle. Also, the exhaust smell is very strong. The bike starts right back up, with out any problem.

Any ideas?

Well I finally checked my MPG and it is not very good. In town and highway combined is only about 30 mpg. I normally run Shell or Chevron fuel, so it is not that I use cheap gasoline.

My bike is really cold blooded, REALLY COLD BLOODED, and will also die sometimes when I roll off the throttle. Also, the exhaust smell is very strong. The bike starts right back up, with out any problem.

Any ideas?

Two possibilities pop into my mind:

1. You might have a faulty engine temperature sensor. (Screws into top of block)

2. You might have a problem with the airflow meter. (Above the air filter).

You also might have an exhaust valve that is too tight.

There are many things that can cause your bike to run poorly. That's what I was telling you in the PM I sent you.

:dance:dance:dance

Let me ask all the silly questions at once.

How many miles on the bike?
What maintenance has been done and when?
Last air filter change date?
Are the brakes dragging?
Do the wheels turn freely or are there bad bearings?
When was the Last tune up?
Last time the exhaust O2 was checked and the air sensor adjusted?
Is the temp sensor working properly?
Injectors cleaned?
Last valve adjustment?
Is the altitude pug installed?
T.B.'s adjusted?

K100RS Poor MPG fixed

My 85 K100RS with 100,000 mi ran with poor mileage one trip across country. When I came back it got a needed new fuel filter, new fuel rail pressure relief, it was running real high pressures, new engine temp sensor (precaution) and adjusted valves that were too tight. MPH went right back up to just over 40. Not sure which item helped the most they were done days apart but all within a couple weeks.

Back