Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Time to hang it up

  1. #1
    Retired from riding rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    1,064

    Time to hang it up

    Yup, after 50 years of riding, including a dozen years teaching MSF I just sold my last motorcycle and I have given up riding. Just a few years ago I could not conceive of this day ever coming.

    So what changed? Physically unable to ride? Nope, I'm in great shape and bicycle our coast and mountains to a tune of about 400 miles a month.

    The only way to explain it is to quote a dear friend of mine when I asked him why he no longer swims since he was a life time competitive swimmer and swim coach. He said, " the water no longer holds any mystery for me". Yup, not that I had done it all in 50 years of motorcycling but I found I was bored when on the bike. When I was on it locally or riding cross country I found myself thinking, gee I wish I was doing this, or that, etc. It was time.

    I want to say that it was a great 50 years that included wonderful experiences I will never forget. Being an admin and mod on ADV Rider was a hoot. The off road advtures were great and my many rides with my good friend David (dbrick) were fantastic.

    I enjoyed my many many motorcycles and my love affair with BMW's, then falling out of love with them, and falling back in love with them.

    Ironically this last bike I sold was the very best BMW I ever owned, completely bulletproof and set up perfectly for me. A nice couple from the north bay bought the bike. He is thrilled with it and I suspect he will be a great addition to the BMW family.

    Finally, I want to thank this forum and the members and mods for creating a great place to share the BMW experience.

    Thanks
    Conrad

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    10,607
    I understand Rad, sorry to see you go........You don't have to you know.

    It may be like selling the baby-clothes at the yard sale.......Be careful going into the dealerships

    Gary
    "I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,281
    Some time ago good friends left on a sailing adventure. I asked them how long they planned to be gone, at the dockside party the night before they sailed. They smiled, looked at each other, turned and said, "Until its not fun anymore". That is what they did and still seems the most sensible approach to life I have ever heard.

    Here is wishing you fun and safe travels in whatever adventure you take on next.

    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

  4. #4
    Retired from riding rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I understand Rad, sorry to see you go........You don't have to you know.

    It may be like selling the baby-clothes at the yard sale.......Be careful going into the dealerships

    Gary
    I must admit my grown daughters were shocked for they have never known their dad not to ride so I did take their advice......I packed away my scads of motorcycle clothing and did not sell any. I will take to goodwill the old jackets and gloves I have not used in many years.

    Gary, you are good people, keep doing a great job mod' here on the forum.

    Conrad

  5. #5
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    10,607
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I must admit my grown daughters were shocked for they have never known their dad not to ride so I did take their advice......I packed away my scads of motorcycle clothing and did not sell any. I will take to goodwill the old jackets and gloves I have not used in many years.

    Gary, you are good people, keep doing a great job mod' here on the forum.

    Conrad
    Thanks Rad, likewise.
    I figured you would catch that obscure reference.
    Gary
    "I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  6. #6
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    4,454

    Smile

    This day will come to all of us, God-willing.

    Many will have to 'hang it up' due to health issues or economic restraints - some will just shift gears and venture off on a different path in life.

    You did it with grace.

    Best of luck for the future!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  7. #7
    Registered User gfspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    611
    I understand exactly how you feel. There comes a time . . . .

    I gave up sailing and sold my boat in April. I just wasn't interested anymore. Motorcycles will be next but I hope that won't be for a few more years. I'm almost 70. Several weeks ago I had a radical prostatectomy. The thing that is frustrating me most about the operation is that I can't ride. The surgeon said that I had to stay away from bicycles and motorcycles until August. I'll eventually start riding again but my rides will be shorter.
    2015 R nineT

  8. #8
    Prefers to play martinph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Armstrong, BC
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Yup, after 50 years of riding, including a dozen years teaching MSF I just sold my last motorcycle and I have given up riding. Just a few years ago I could not conceive of this day ever coming.

    So what changed? Physically unable to ride? Nope, I'm in great shape and bicycle our coast and mountains to a tune of about 400 miles a month.

    The only way to explain it is to quote a dear friend of mine when I asked him why he no longer swims since he was a life time competitive swimmer and swim coach. He said, " the water no longer holds any mystery for me". Yup, not that I had done it all in 50 years of motorcycling but I found I was bored when on the bike. When I was on it locally or riding cross country I found myself thinking, gee I wish I was doing this, or that, etc. It was time.

    I want to say that it was a great 50 years that included wonderful experiences I will never forget. Being an admin and mod on ADV Rider was a hoot. The off road advtures were great and my many rides with my good friend David (dbrick) were fantastic.

    I enjoyed my many many motorcycles and my love affair with BMW's, then falling out of love with them, and falling back in love with them.

    Ironically this last bike I sold was the very best BMW I ever owned, completely bulletproof and set up perfectly for me. A nice couple from the north bay bought the bike. He is thrilled with it and I suspect he will be a great addition to the BMW family.

    Finally, I want to thank this forum and the members and mods for creating a great place to share the BMW experience.

    Thanks
    Conrad
    What you wrote hits home to a lot of us. To a certain amount the fun has gone out of it for me also. Been riding 60 years and the thought of not owning a bike is troubling. Just cant imagine not being involved with the people.
    I wish you well
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    ... I'll eventually start riding again but my rides will be shorter.
    Nothing wrong with short rides. All of my rides are short; sometimes I'll string a bunch of short rides together a make a longer ride if I want to go somewhere. If it ain't fun, you're doing something wrong!!!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    vancouver ,wa
    Posts
    469
    Short rides are better than none.

  11. #11
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Yup, not that I had done it all in 50 years of motorcycling but I found I was bored when on the bike. When I was on it locally or riding cross country I found myself thinking, gee I wish I was doing this, or that, etc. It was time.

    Conrad
    Nothing is final until the Fat Lady sings.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    vancouver ,wa
    Posts
    469

  13. #13
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    I'm almost 70. Several weeks ago I had a radical prostatectomy.
    Get well soon!

    My prostate biopsy a year ago came back negative, but my brother has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Unfortunately, prostate cancer is all too common.

    Harry

  14. #14
    Registered User gfspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Get well soon!

    My prostate biopsy a year ago came back negative, but my brother has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Unfortunately, prostate cancer is all too common.

    Harry
    And I assume that you are back riding!

    Some years ago I was doing an Edelweiss tour in Spain. One of the guys who was riding with us was in his 80s. (I can't remember his name but he posted pictures of that trip in the MOA Magazine.) He out rode us all! (He would take pictures as we rode by, mount up, pass us, ride on up the road, get off of his bike, and take more pictures when we passed again.) I don't need to be riding in my 80s but I would be pleased with five more years of riding.
    2015 R nineT

  15. #15
    Registered User SeabeckS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    GPS (Greater Puget Sound)
    Posts
    1,482
    Conrad,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I've been on the fence with this issue for the last couple of years. Started riding in '63, like many of our age I started riding on dirt and initially didn't have much desire to ride street machines. Since that beginning, moved onward with a variety of bikes and haven't owned a dirt bike since the early seventies. After owning bikes from all the major Japanese brands, got a Ducati in the mid 90's. Finally matured enough (haha) to get a new BMW in 2004, then picked up my '04 R1100S in 2008.

    A lot miles and smiles along the way with some memorable rides, some short, some long. These days don't seem to find the time to ride much, and guess that's the crux of my issue. That I don't "find the time". So the bike mostly sits and gathers dust. Complicating a decision to hang it up, is that I truly love this bike. I've had faster (race prepped GS1000S), better handling (Ducati 900 SS/SP), better full on touring (GS1100G full faired, Krauser cases/trunk) bikes, but never one that covers all my bases so perfectly. Plus it's pretty..lol.

    So, I appreciate what you faced in making your decision. Responding to your post helps me focus more on my own process.

    Best wishes for happy "retirement"!
    Bill Johnston

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •