• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Man down, what a mess

I'm glad your friend will mend. Rightfully or not, there's sometimes some guilt when this sort of thing happens.
Interestingly, given the age of some of the responders here (and I'm 69 YO) I wonder if
you remember how YOU learned to ride. For myself, I'd been on the back of a Honda Superhawk in College--back in the mid-sixties. A couple of years later, in the Navy and away from parental oversight I bought a small displacement BSA from a dealer in Baltimore.
No training, no test, no nada. I rode it back to the base and parked it outside the gates since I had no insurance. I'm amazed I'm still alive and riding 46 years later given the lack of training, youthful stupidity and the condition of the bike (the headlight fell off one night with a Wave on the back -but that's another story )

Mac

Thankfully, he was wearing a skull cap helmet. His face would be a lot prettier if he had a full face helmet on, but he will make it. He still has very littlle knowledge of what happened. Besides being more aware of who I am riding with, I am humbled at how much damage can occur in a relatively mild accident. Be careful out there.

For sure and for sure.

My worst accident ever was bicycle riding when I decided I'd ride through a puddle which turned out to be a significant pothole. A needle in upper lip prior to a little plastic surgery is no fun, and of course there's the tooth crown. In the "didn't know what happened" category all I know is I landed on my face, never getting hands up in time for protection. At about 1 mph I imagine. I tell anyone I've been hurt worse riding a bicycle than a motorcycle but that doesn't mean overconfidence. Nevertheless, I think motorcycles are paragons of safety compared to bicycles. Something besides a full-face helmet--you've got to be kidding.

I'd suspect target fixation. He came out of one corner, saw the next one and panic set in - causing him to fixate on where he didn't want to go (the gravel.)

I suspect a lack of appreciation of counter-steering. A rider not thoroughly versed in it, with the brain properly burned in, is much more prone to panic in a tight curve.

I once was on a road trip with a guy who was slow as molasses on straightaways, always below the speed limit. The first curvy mountain road we came to, he took off like a scalded cat. I didn't even try to keep up with him. I rounded a curve to the right to find him on the left shoulder: he had gone so wide in the right turn he almost went in the ditch on the left side of the road. That road trip was not fun. I was always worried about him crashing. I'm always a little worried about myself crashing, so adding a noob rider into the equation does not make for a happy ride.

Harry

I have to set traps sometimes to clear out the pocket gophers from an alfalfa field. Its frustrating that some are able to avoid the trap time after time. A simple mindset enables me to keep with it until I get one. I only have to get it right once. He has to get it right every single time. Curves in a road ridden at an exciting speed play by the same rule only it's I that have to get it right every single time.

It's difficult to imagine a man having anything but the wrong thought when riders in front disappear. "I just need to twist in more throttle and steer it between the lines, that's all they're doing". THIS IS THE NATURAL THING. All of the books, training, technique and experience are needed to counteract this thought.

If we crash, even at a low speed, our M/C's and bones are apt to be broken all to h**l. Denial stops when the sparks start.

Hopefully he learns that he is seriously lacking in either riding skills or paying attention skills and addresses those factors before he ever rides again, IF he ever rides again.

Hopefully he learns that he is seriously lacking in either riding skills or paying attention skills and addresses those factors before he ever rides again, IF he ever rides again.

Based on everything we don't know, that might be a bit harsh. If I took the same attitude toward a number of folks I know, some on this list, there would be a bunch fewer riders out there for sure.

Based on everything we don't know, that might be a bit harsh. If I took the same attitude toward a number of folks I know, some on this list, there would be a bunch fewer riders out there for sure.

True, we don't know a lot and maybe what I wrote is a bit harsh, but I think a one-vehicle crash backs me up. Ruling out a sudden mechanical failure, it has to be the rider's fault. I'm not saying he shouldn't ever ride again, I meant if he's physically able to.

I tend to agree with Paul. Many here seem to feel they can read about a crash and have enough details to make a judgement call to the cause.

Doing motorcycle crash reconstruction when I was in the Air Force proved to me what facts you could determine from what you read in a report were often very far from the actual facts to the cause.

Quick note on my OPINION: I previously SPECULATED that his Harley may have touched down and his inexperienced reaction my have been to become startled, causing him to over-react and try to lift the bike back off the road surface enough to - in his mind - prevent a crash, which ultimately prevented him from negotiating the curve. I made that speculation based on crashes of Harleys with inexperienced riders. I don't know what model Harley he was on but if it had floorboards, the probability of that goes up. Experience tells you scraping pegs and floorboards is no big deal generally, but to a newer rider, it can be scary enough they lose focus and over-react.

Here's an example of just that." This was also at low speed. Note that in frame 10, his bike touches down on the right - what follows is exactly what can happen if you over-react.

Not speaking about this crash in particular, but if you rule out another vehicle as well as sudden mechanical failure, then whose fault is it? No one's? Is it "just one of those things?"

I also investigated crashes for many many years and you can find the first event if you really need to or want to. In this case the authorities may have just scooped him up and transported him and no investigation was done just a quick report.

Quick note on my OPINION: I previously SPECULATED that his Harley may have touched down and his inexperienced reaction my have been to become startled, causing him to over-react and try to lift the bike back off the road surface enough to - in his mind - prevent a crash, which ultimately prevented him from negotiating the curve. I made that speculation based on crashes of Harleys with inexperienced riders. I don't know what model Harley he was on but if it had floorboards, the probability of that goes up. Experience tells you scraping pegs and floorboards is no big deal generally, but to a newer rider, it can be scary enough they lose focus and over-react.

This sort of thing is what I've observed many times. Cruisers are the most popular style of bike sold right now, and it seems logical that they would also have more than their share of new riders. If I can't safely and quickly pass someone who is clearly not handling curves well I assume he's new at the game and will back way off so he doesn't feel pressured to go faster.

I can tell you it was a Road King. When we loaded the bike for transport it was in second gear and I had a hard time getting into neutral because the roll bars had pushed back and locked the shifter. I did not see any evidence of the foot pad scraping so I do not believe he dragged the hard parts. One other interesting thing was when the EMT's showed up the bike alarm was sounding and we could not figure how to turn if off. The EMT proceeded to take a set of wire cutters and cut the entire harness. As it turns out it did not hurt the situation as the bike is a total loss.

just a few thoughts

My youngest son and I went to National Norton Rally in Utah some years ago. We were riding back to the rally site after the sun had set. Doing the speed limit on a four lane coming out of town, I saw a deer along the side of the road. With in another mile or so, all I saw was the head of another one in my headlight beam. I thought he would have hit my right arm, it was that close. In another mile or two was a dead one along the road. I think that was the tap on the shoulder from God to slow down, and we cut our speed by 15 mph. No traffic anyway. My son only saw the first and third deer. The second one was in and out so quick that it didn't catch his attention and he was only about 60 feet back. The Nortons didn't have very bright lights. Could a vermin have run across the road after the second bike pass the place in the curve? My next thought is the gravel on the shoulder, My three children and my wife took the MSF course. Brian got off the highway in back of me, but low sided. I asked what happened. He was still using the front brake when he got off the pavement and didn't use more of the rear. So the front tire washed out on him. I asked all four of them and the each said they didn't remember it from the class. As they were no drag marks I can't say about the foot rest but, while riding a 106cc allstate I touched the foot peg down so hard that the rear wheel picked up off the pavement. It was on a right turn that went up an apron and across a sidewalk. I think I shook my head then but just grin now. I hope your friend heals well and rides again

When riding with someone new, we always preach the "ride your own ride" and tell them we will not leave them behind, just look for us at intersections. I also tend to slow down on straight sections, as police are looking for cars to speed up where they can, and even a novice rider can usually speed up on a straight a way......

We did an over night trip to WV/MD a couple weeks ago, had to change our destination due to a couple feet of snow in parts of WV, brought by "Sandy", but had a good time. One of the guys that went along is not as experianced, and we would just slow down once through the twisties or any time out route changed off the main/obvious path. This way he wasn't pressured and knew we would eventually be waiting for him. A fun and safe weekend for us all.

On the other hand, there are a number of riders I have ridden with once, and know I will never ride with again. Some due to inexperiance, some due to stupidity. I figure if I carve a day out of my schedule to ride, it is my day, and I can't ever get it back, so why waste it riding with someone you have to babysit? If there is a mentoring relationship, or the wife is along (which makes it a social day) then that is differant, but a ride day is a ride day, and I don't get enough of them!

I have seen seen, and hit, the only slick spot in the road, it was less than a foot across, it was a damp well driven over road apple (horse dropping) . I did not go down or need new underwear, but had I been near max lean it could have made things drag. It could also scare a newer rider riding beyond his ability.

If in a group you always announce ride your own ride. And then you ride very slow and spend a lot of time looking in your mirrors.

To have fun, trade leader with other experienced riders and park for a bit, then catch up.

This way you keep your friend safe and you still have fun.

Rod

I'd agree not to be "harsh" as regards the guy's riding skills, but would continue to be "harsh" as regards not wearing a full-coverage helmet.

Even Valentino Rossi crashes.

Back