• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Jump Guard Technical Campaign for K1200 and some K1300

lee

Debbie's Servant
Looks like BMW will pick up the tab on installing the cam chain jump guard on the Slant Four K1200 and some of the K1300 bikes.

Technical campaign was released this month It goes on to say this is to be done at the time of valve check and if a customer does it ahead he can be reimbursed for parts and 15 minuets labor.

From what I hear this job can be done in 15 to 20 minutes. If your K1300 was built near the first of the year of 2011 you may already have the jump guard.
Your dealer has the range of VINs that are affected and can tell you if you need the job done.

Parts are the plastic guard, 18 non reusable aluminum bolts and possibly the gasket if needed.

I did not add the years in the title because I do not know the exact years.

P1020814-vi.jpg

P1020820-vi.jpg

P1020824-vi.jpg

P1020826-vi.jpg

Member Roy posted this link some time back on a how to:
I will find receipts and see if I can get a few dollars back on the parts.

Yes, I stole the pictures from his excellent instructions :)
I saved his instructions and had planned to use them when I installed the guard on our bikes this winter.

I asked my dealer if he could ship me the parts which I would install and have BMW pay for the parts.
I was told if I wanted BMW to pick up the tab, the work has to be done by the shop.
Steve, I would still ask for a refund of the parts, it never hurts to ask.

My '08 is in the shop right now for a cruise control issue, and they also told me that I could get reimbursed for installing the guard myself last year.

Jump guard campaign

I just sent an email to my dealer with the info. We'll see what he says.

I bought the guard, screws and the gasket (the gasket was pretty pricey if I remember correctly maybe more that $20?) a month or so ago.

I'll post when I hear and what they say.:eat

Thanks for the info.

John

(the gasket was pretty pricey if I remember correctly maybe more that $20?)

The gasket is $30. Most people have the silicone coated metal gasket which can be reused. Our bikes look like they have the paper gasket, so for two gaskets, all the bolts and two jump guards it was going to be around $140 in parts to do our two bikes.

It will cost me $60 in gas to have the work done at the shop, so it will still cost me a little for the update.

is there a service bulletin number or other reference number to provide to the shop?

is there a service bulletin number or other reference number to provide to the shop?

It's a Technical Campaign and the subject is Retrofitting Timing Chain Guide.
Bulletin # 11 004 12 (170)

Jump_Guard_Campaign_0001_Large_.jpg

Jump_Guard_Campaign_page2_Large_.jpg

The scan is not real sharp, so you may have to print it.

Jump guiard campaign

Hi Guys

I was just advised by my dealer (San Jose BMW) that BMW will NOT reimburse for the parts or labor for guards not installed by the Dealer.
Please let me know if any of you hear differently.:banghead

John

Hmmm, I dropped $425 at a dealer back in July of '11 as part of an agreement between me and BMWNA to replace the entire chain and gear assembly AND to install the guard. They made me feel as if they were doing me a favor at the time. Who knows, maybe they were given that my bike was out of warranty by almost two years.

I was just advised by my dealer (San Jose BMW) that BMW will NOT reimburse for the parts or labor for guards not installed by the Dealer.

Oh, well, at least we got to know our bikes better and got the thing installed in a timely manner before the chain had a chance to jump.....I've spent more on mistakes or farkles. At least I know I did this job (following Roy's documentation, THANKS) and did it right.

Back