• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

wisdom from a harley forum

Back in the 70s I had to go thru a Marine Corps defensive riding course (many hours spread over most of a month) just to get my bike registered on base. I still remember the cigar-chewing Gunny (as far as I know he never lit the thing) bellowing, "Them roads is full o' mass murderers and they's all gunnin' for YOU!"

Over the years that's saved my skin a couple of times.

Semper fi, Gunny!

No paranoia here.
I ride with full confidence in my ability to see everything and everyone.
Except for those pesky deer that don't obey the warning signs.

Except for those pesky deer that don't obey the warning signs.
The warning signs are for you. The deer are just crossing at their designated crossing point. Now if you hit one away from their crossing sign it is then their fault. :laugh

So she's hit 3 deer. They were all near a deer crossing sign. Look out for her at marked pedestrian areas!

I think it is sometimes a road bully. When I ride my bike people in little cars (but bigger than me) deliberately take my space. If I am in our little car (Saturn) folks in bigger cars sometimes take my space. If I am in our Ford Explorer then F250s with cow catchers sometimes crowd me, but little cars don't.

Sorry to hear this.

What was his level of rider training? When I hear these stories, I think "no training."

I think it is sometimes a road bully. When I ride my bike people in little cars (but bigger than me) deliberately take my space. If I am in our little car (Saturn) folks in bigger cars sometimes take my space. If I am in our Ford Explorer then F250s with cow catchers sometimes crowd me, but little cars don't.
It's obvious that people show their personalities both on & off the road. I feel there are some that may be sort of "meek" when not behind the wheel & take on another persona on road-perhaps a Jeckle & Hyde sort of phenomena? The taxi drivers in Mexican cities are interesting type drivers, pushy & charging at times while also mostly safe, courteous & willing to advise you. I have had them try to "encourage" me to split lanes in town with almost a nudge.
Riding last Sunday, my road came toward an off ramp with a stop sign.As I watched the large SUV converging (potentially)into my path & at a speed not indicating they would stop, I chose to lay into my brakes & when the SUV braked hard @ the stop sign & lurched to a stop I gave them a pointed index finger(no, not the other kind) and a few miles down the road as the same gal pulled up to a red lt in a small town. I looked over toward her & got a smile. meaning she loves me, or she doesn't?:p

Dont assume they dont see you. Assume they see you clearly and are trying to kill you.

More often, they "see" you, but their brain doesn't "perceive" you. The problem is that it takes more than eyes to see: the brain has to process the signals from the eyes and do it correctly every time to ensure you are actually noticed, actually "seen."

That's why I wear a white helmet and hi-viz and am always on guard. Even that is no guarantee I'll arrive safely every time.

Harry

The "pipes" dont help so much on MOST BMW's. On some sport bikes, and the
V twin's it has some effect on overtake/riding behind & abeam. But since that
also depends on some other factors, even the noise can make you feel safer than
you may really be. But; yet another tool for some.

If they're trying to kill you, then your bright yellow jacket/helmet and your 14 lights and your noise just make it easier for them to spot you.

It's the equipment between your ears that will save you.

Dont assume they dont see you. Assume they see you clearly and are trying to kill you.

Interesting. I first posted that on the IBMWR list about 20 years ago.. the extension of it is - "always plan your out." It's worked for me many many times in the past 20 years.

An "out"

Interesting. I first posted that on the IBMWR list about 20 years ago.. the extension of it is - "always plan your out." It's worked for me many many times in the past 20 years.

I took the classroom MSF class on spotting hazards this past Sunday and I kept seeing "outs" where the instructor insisted there were none.

Back