• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The new BMW F 800 GT | Press Kit

Looks great. I am highly interested in the white one. Where in the blue .......... Is the cruise control?????

Looks great. I am highly interested in the white one. Where in the blue .......... Is the cruise control?????

I can't see a cruise switch on the left bar and it was not mentioned in the press kit or on the BMW web site.

I can't see a cruise switch on the left bar and it was not mentioned in the press kit or on the BMW web site.

I don't think it has cruise. Now that I have had cruise on a bike, I absloutely do not want to give it up. I just cannot believe that BMW would build any bike, put the word "touring" in the name or description, and not put cruise on it.

I don't think it has cruise. Now that I have had cruise on a bike, I absloutely do not want to give it up. I just cannot believe that BMW would build any bike, put the word "touring" in the name or description, and not put cruise on it.

I had it on my K1200RS and loved it. I don't have it on my K1300S and get along fine without it.
If it's on the option list I'm going to order it, if it's not available, it's not a deal breaker.

I see the alternator only puts out 400W which I think is the same for past 800s.
How has this worked for F800ST and F800S riders who use several items of heated gear?

On my F650GS twin the alternator output is no problem. For accessories I have radar, gps, HID running lights, P3 taillights, heated grips, and his and hers plugs for heated gear.

Obviously I don't run everything at once. If we are running both heated jackets and heated grips then I can't also have the running lights on. To keep track of the battery I simple have the radar detector set to volt meter. The one surprising thing with the alternator on this bike is that the volts actually go up at idle. Running down the road the volts will stay in the 14.1-14.3 range. At idle it goes up to the 14.5-14.8 range.

On my K1100LT I have the same list of accessories on it plus the lights on the Bushtec trailer. And since its a '93 it also only has a 400 watt alternator. Nobody ever comments on the electrical output of that bike, but I have heard it often about my GS. People have just become used to having super sized alternators on everything now I guess. :laugh

The one thing this is a known weak spot in the electrical on the 800's is the stator. They like to burn themselves up. BMW now has an updated flywheel that has holes in it thats supposed to help keep the temperature of the stator down. It hasn't been out long enough to know yet if it fixes the problem. BMW also won't just sell the stator, they sell the flywheel and stator together for a cool $900. Uhhh no thanks! This summer when my stator died at 40K miles I just bought an aftermarket stator for $165. By the time this one dies it should be known if the new vented flywheel actually keeps the stators alive longer. If not I will just keep using the much cheaper aftermarket stator.

I see the alternator only puts out 400W which I think is the same for past 800s.
How has this worked for F800ST and F800S riders who use several items of heated gear?

I'm running a Gerbing heated liner and Gerbing heated gloves at the same time, sometimes on full heat setting, all with no problems. I don't have any other electronic doo-dads, so I can't comment on the draw on the alternator.

Nah. I've only got a two-hour butt, so a larger tank is mostly wasted on me. Perhaps you're riding the ST in rallies, eh?

The size of the tank doesn't dictate when I take a brake .
But I like having a lot of leeway about when I have to fuel up. I don't like limited fuel capacity to limit my decisions on what routes to take.

Under normal conditions I'm sure 4 gallons is adequate. I just wish it was at least 5

This might be the possible bike to make me think hard about putting more money into my 92 R100RS ( 110,000 smiles ) or getting a new ride next spring ! Price will be a factor ... also I find the R1200RT just too much bike really, although I have not ridden it, maybe I should test ride a used one !
Steve

Not sure how accurate, but I've read that the base price will be $ 13,190.00

Personally, I'm looking forward to real world ride reports/reviews and taking a nice long demo ride on the F800GT sometime in 2013 when its available.

If anyone can confirm that would be Great.

I was at my dealership yesterday and viewed the spec sheet. IIRC the $13,190 is with the safety and comfort package.

Buck Lemme
Vienna, Illinois

Does anyone know if those hard cases will fit the F800ST?

I was wondering the same thing :D It doesn't look like they changed the subframe. When my local dealer gets one I plan to swing by and see if they will fit or if they changed the mounts and if so what I'm going to have to do to fit them. The hybrid/cloth bags on my ST aren't bad bags but when expanded they aren't weather resistant. I've helped mine a little by giving it a scotchguard hose down but they'll still seep a bit of water after a while.

... The hybrid/cloth bags on my ST aren't bad bags but when expanded they aren't weather resistant. I've helped mine a little by giving it a scotchguard hose down but they'll still seep a bit of water after a while.

Oops. Don't like to hear that. Thought the liners inside the sport bags on the ST were water proof. Not true? I haven't tried mine out in the rain yet

Oops. Don't like to hear that. Thought the liners inside the sport bags on the ST were water proof. Not true? I haven't tried mine out in the rain yet

Yes the liners are waterproof. We've ridden in several all day rains and no water got into the liners of either bike. Water will get into the bags, but not the liners.
We have K1300Ss which have the same bag and liner setup.

Back