• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The new BMW F 800 GT | Press Kit

mika

Still Wondering
With the new F 800 GT as the successor model to the F 800 ST, BMW Motorrad is enhancing its range in the sporty touring segment and setting a new benchmark among mid-range motorcycles.

The high-torque, water-cooled 2-cylinder in-line engine with a capacity of 798cc continues to provide dynamic propulsion in the new F800GT. An increase in power has been achieved by means of revised set-up. It now has an output of 66 kW / 90 bhp (F800ST: 62.5 kW (85 bhp)) at 8,000 rpm. The new F 800 GT boasts an even more supreme drive with the maintenance-free secondary drive via toothed belt.

What is more, improved ergonomics, optimised wind and weather protection and an even more practically oriented luggage system provides the basis for genuine ÔÇ£Gran TurismoÔÇØ. The new F800GT is also fitted as standard with ABS in line with the ÔÇ£Safety 360??ÔÇØ principle. Other optional systems such as Automatic Stability Control ASC and the Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA ensure that the new BMW F 800 GT sets new standards in terms of safety and comfort within its segment.

As part of the BMW Motorrad program of special accessories, the new F800GT can also be fitted with an Akrapovič sports silencer. This slip-on silencer provides a particularly earthy 2-cylinder sound. Made of titanium and stainless steel it enables a weight reduction of approx. 1.7 kg as compared to the standard rear silencer.

Overview of new technical features:
Increased output of the F 800 GT as compared to predecessor model.
66 kW (90 bhp) at 8,000 rpm. (F 800 ST: 62.5 kW (85 bhp) at 8,000 rpm).
Newly designed trim in more dynamic look with further improved wind and weather protection. New paint finishes.
The latest generation of BMW Motorrad ABS, now as standard.
Automatic Stability Control ASC (ex works option / special accessory).
Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA (ex works option / special accessory)
Convenient adjustment of rear spring mount using handwheel.
Suspension optimised in terms of ride stability and comfort.
New, lighter wheels in dynamic design.
Adapted ergonomics for increased touring comfort with higher handlebars and repositioned footrests.
Enhanced seating comfort for rider and passenger.
New handlebar switch panels and front brake fluid expansion tank.
New vibration-free and double-butted aluminium handlebars.
Cockpit with new dial faces for speedometer and engine speed display as * well as an extended range of information.
Load capacity increased by 11 kg to 207 kg.
New exhaust system with optimised heel protection.
Turn indicators in smoke grey.
Newly developed luggage system (special accessory).
New connection of BMW Motorrad Navigator IV to handlebar clamp (special accessory).
Power reduction to 35 kW (48 bhp) (ex works option / special accessory).

i-fxGHCqW-L.jpg

i-97G5WTq-L.jpg

i-MQ5Rp82-L.jpg

i-JdDbHf4-L.jpg

i-xZZWw5g-L.jpg

i-jdm4D86-L.jpg

i-KF9593G-L.jpg

i-5xKQrT4-L.jpg

i-jS3n34Z-L.jpg

Click on the following photo for a full Press Kit photo gallery

I Want One!

Looks really good to me! From the instrumentation picture, it looks like the bike has the Japanese style turn signal switch. My old eyes aren't good enough to see cruise, heated grips, and heated seat switches, though. Perhaps those things are options, however. Nice choice of colors, too. The next question is how many $$$ to own one. As this is written, the BMW website is still showing the F800ST. When updated, my questions about options will most likely be answered.

I like everything except the high bars.
I like the white one :thumb

If I had the money, I would like to have one as a 2nd bike. The only snag is I would need to buy two :)

It's nice to see BMW is still interested in the sport touring market segment. The R1200ST hasn't been available since 2007, and the K1300S is just a bit too sporty for my taste (and it's bags are too small).

might work for me

This new bike has promise. My '03 RT is a fine machine, but I am interested in a lighter, more fuel-efficient ride, and one with modest maintenance requirements.

I'll have to see if I can get comfortable on it with my long legs. One reason I got the RT was the adjustable seat. I will definitely do a test ride next Spring. Maybe I can get a high seat or a custom built up seat.

I know the ergonomics would work on an F800GS, but if they work out with this bike, I'd definitely consider buying one.

It's also nice to see it available in white, which is the one I would choose.

I'll have to see if I can get comfortable on it with my long legs. One reason I got the RT was the adjustable seat. I will definitely do a test ride next Spring. Maybe I can get a high seat or a custom built up seat.

Here's the link from BMW USA. http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html
If you click on accessories, you'll see it has the option of four seats. Standard, Low, Extra Low, and Comfort.
The seat height with the Comfort seat is 32.3"

Oops, first you need to click on motorcycles and then pick F800GT, then accessories.

If you click on accessories, you'll see it has the option of four seats. Standard, Low, Extra Low, and Comfort.
The seat height with the Comfort seat is 32.3"

Thanks, Lee. It's even better though:

ÔÇó Comfort seat, high, black (NEW) (not shown):
- Accessory seat (not available as factory option).
- Same seat width as comfort seat.
- Comfortable padding (front seat even more padded than comfort seat).
- Seated position considerably slightly higher than standard seat.
- More comfort on account of comfortable angle of the knees.
- More touring comfort, particularly for tall riders.
- Height of seat: 33.3 inches, seated-arc length: Information to follow.

A "high comfort seat" is available, which would be just the thing for me.

Harry

Have they explained how the wrung a few extra horsepower out of the engine?

"New vibration-free and double-butted aluminium handlebars"
double-butted I understand, how's the "vibration-free" part work,
anybody know?

:type

As a former F800ST owner, I have to say that the new model looks sharp! I particularly like it in white also. There has been some discussion on this forum as well as F800Riders about the desire of some owners to have an F800RT and it looks like the GT variant is pretty close.

The ST's handlebars did suffer from a fair amount of vibration so I'm guessing they are probably using a heavier bar-end weight to damp some of the vibes, and/or some kind of anti-vibration engine mounts.

Have they explained how the wrung a few extra horsepower out of the engine? -snipped-

:type

I have not seen anything yet. I am curious how much the development done for the on the expanded F engine in the Husqvarna Nuda is used to develop the hp without the cc boost.

Thanks, Lee. It's even better though:

- More comfort on account of comfortable angle of the knees.
- More touring comfort, particularly for tall riders.
- Height of seat: 33.3 inches, seated-arc length: Information to follow.

A "high comfort seat" is available, which would be just the thing for me.

Harry

Yes, I managed to miss that they had two comfort seats. Interesting they have so many seat options.

I see the alternator only puts out 400W which I think is the same for past 800s.
How has this worked for F800ST and F800S riders who use several items of heated gear?

Looks like the "RT Lite" many have been asking for.

Hopefully it will be on display at this years bike shows across the country.

08RT

Back