• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200 GS - Is the alternator belt directional?

As a preventative measure, I just changed the alternator belt on my bike at 45,000 km, using the adjustable wrench technique that I saw on a youtube video. I have driven about 400 km since, and so far, so good.

What I am kind of wondering about however is the following statement, excerpted from the BMW Repair Manual DVD for the bike:

"If it is not correctly installed on the pulleys, the belt will suffer irreparable damage within a very short space of time.

Make sure the belt is installed right way round."​
Emphasis mine.

I am wondering what they mean by "right way round"? I mean...the belt isn't directional (like a tire)...is it? I couldn't find any marking on either the original belt (which, upon removal, looked to be in perfect condition by the way), or on the replacement belt, that would indicate that it is supposed to rotate in one direction or another.

Are these belts directional?

Thanks,

Ribbed side in. Would be hard to get it wrong.[/QUOTE
After many years of dealing with people, I am under the impression getting it wrong is NEVER too hard.

you can not make things idiot proof, only idiot resistant.

Belt is non directional

Rod

This is meant!

The belt MUST be seated all the way, non directional. Some may have and it can be SET in place with a (1)rib OFF the pully, destroying it soon after. To make this mistake, would be very obvious to most,BUT? BMW tries hard to accomodate the most ignorant wrenches among us. No offesne, just the real world, not everybody being born wrench friendly. Randy, BTW, I too, have made my share of blunders, so to speak of myself, as a lifelong tool guy in hand:).

Back