• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fairing light/1983 R100RS

walt3022

What are my bulb options for the light above the headlight on the RS fairing? The OEM bulb is dodgy on my bike and I'd opt for something brighter if I knew what it was...
TIA :ear

the light above the headlight

d'oh!

It's a 4w bulb. I think I've seen LED replacements for it, but don't know if they put out anymore wattage.

If it's "dodgy" maybe just replacing it will suffice.

edit- 12v 35w halogen replacement. That's a huge jump in heat output to use in an enclosed housing.

GOOD_halogen_lighting_bulbs_12v_35w_ba15s.jpg

the base configuration is BAX9 if you add H6W it denotes "halogen, 6watts". Probably a much better replacement than 35w.

12v 6w bayonet base from > http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/ab434-12v-6w-single-contact-offset-bayonet-indicator-bulb-9783-p.asp

ab434-12v-6w-single-contact-offset-bayonet-indicator-bulb-9783-p%5Bekm%5D320x320%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Xenon BAX9 1WHP (1 watt, high power) might "look" brighter.

from > http://www.xenonrider.com/LED_lighting/BAX9_LED.shtml

and is available in colors.

2BAX9-1WHP.jpg

Last edited:
don't expect that light to actually do much. its sufficient for illuminating the front of the bike when stopped on the side of the road, headlight off, but not much else.

1983 R100RS fairing light

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping would be forthcoming. I'm going to fit an amber 1 watt LED in the fairing as a means of being more readily noticed by the oncoming cagers.

I removed the bulb from mine as it serves no purpose.

Well, as noted by bikerfish, it does,

its sufficient for illuminating the front of the bike when stopped on the side of the road, headlight off, but not much else.

and especially if you live in European cities where street width is generally far narrower than here in the States. It's a "parking light".

Back