• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

H4 bulb help

jujubean1

Hello...
Can I use any 55/65 yellow H4 bulb in my R100/7.
I tried to buy a Piaa ion crystal but the dealers site stated that it is not compatible.
It seems like a no brainer to me but...... you never know...
Thanks,
John
Livermore, ca.

H4 is a size standard as well as a performance standard. If one fits, they all fit.

Whether yellow is legal where you live is another question.

"Ion crystal" ... wow!

My understanding, similar to Kent's above description, is that the "H4" is a specification for the size and shape of the bulb holder (metal frame) and also for the connector plug.

So, any bulb labeled "H4" will physically fit (and work) in the /7 headlight.

The 55/65 refers to the watts of power consumed by the bulb on low/high beam. 55/65 is standard.

The type of bulb (blue, white, ion crystal, etc) is open to as much discussion as which is the best tire or oil. Everyone has an opinion.

I don't think it has been conclusively proven that the most expensive bulbs with the special names produce any better lighting than a plain jane H4 costing under $10.

Barron

......I don't think it has been conclusively proven that the most expensive bulbs with the special names produce any better lighting than a plain jane H4 costing under $10.

Barron

Not sure about "better" lighting (as you say, most discussion in the matter are purely subjective) but the cheap H4s I have used in my cars and bikes seem to have a short life cycle even if handled with "kid gloves". Earlier this year I ponied up for some PIAA anti-vibration bulbs (Xtreme White Plus H4) for use in my airheads. They are holding up very well.

If you dig into the web there is a chart detailing the life/service you can expect from the various bulbs out there. Extremely bright comes with a trade off in hours of life. Vibration is even more important on a night ride.

My understanding, similar to Kent's above description, is that the "H4" is a specification for the size and shape of the bulb holder (metal frame) and also for the connector plug.

As well as the precise location of the high and low beam filaments in the capsule, so that the beams of light thrown by the reflectors on high beam and low beam also meet specifications.

The 55/65 refers to the watts of power consumed by the bulb on low/high beam. 55/65 is standard.

Barron

Actually, standard is/has been 55/60, not 65. Normal higher wattages used throughout the years have been both 55/80 and 55/100. Without a wiring upgrade, 55/100 actually gives less light output than either the 55/60 or the 55/80.

Actually, standard is/has been 55/60, not 65. Normal higher wattages used throughout the years have been both 55/80 and 55/100. Without a wiring upgrade, 55/100 actually gives less light output than either the 55/60 or the 55/80.

During both the '99 and '03 Iron Butt Rallies I ran an 85/130 H4 bulb in my K75. It had a relay setup - four of them - high beam, low beam, driving lights, Motolights. It also had a ceramic H4 connector at the bulb, and heavy wire to and from the relays. I certainly would have fried the OEM switch and wiring otherwise.

Given the shorter life of the high watt bulbs, I installed them for the rally where I would be doing a lot of night riding, but removed them for everyday use where I almost never ride at night.

Back