• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Gerbing's heated socks or insoles?

Gerbing's Heated Socks or Insoles

• Socks

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Insoles

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Other options

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
K

kaygee

Most people that had the old socks would complain about feeling the wires. The heated insoles were made to combat that problem but the new socks have microwire which should also fix that problem.

I'm looking for opinions before making a purchase. Microwire Socks or Insoles?

Neither.
Only gets to low 20s where I live and a pair of TechSox under BMW boots is plenty of protection on my RT. Maybe if I had a naked or a GS I'd want them but have seen no need yet...

Neither

I ride an oil head, where there is no protection from elements. I for simplicity sake wear only Smartwool socks in summer and winter. In winter riding here in Southern California, it can get to mid to high 30s (out side temperature, not at 60 mph speed, which would bring it further down). Smartwool works just fine, it gets cooler, then I simply wiggle my toe and fingers for a bit to make sure blood circulation is still there. :dance

The insoles do just fine. I use them inside of 200g insulated Danner boots with SmartWool socks, and have had no issues in the teens for hours on end.

I have a pair of their socks I've never worn, as the insoles provide all the warmth I need.

We had the old thick Gerbing socks which I did not care for because if it warmed up in the afternoon the socks were too hot even after you shut off the heat.
Both of us switched to insoles several years ago and like them much more.
I have not tried the new thinner microwire socks and see no reason to.
I like the insoles.

I have a hard time finding socks I like, and I had the stepping on wires problem. Insoles rock!

Insoles simply did not work for me. I had to stand on the pegs to truly feel the heat. The socks simply kept my toes nice and toasty in both my CBTs and in hiking boots.

Yes, you have to have the wires laying right otherwise they will cause some discomfort!

I have Gerbings - I don't wear them. Instead I have opted for Little Hotties Adhesive Toe Warmers.

I wear a very thick crew sock with my riding boots. When it looks like I'll need something to keep my feet warm down the road, I stick one of these on top of my sock well before I hit the road. They take quite a bit of time to get warm. They're ok to walk with but if I'm walking very far, I toss them and put new ones in before I get on the road again. The thick sock keeps them from getting too hot on my feet, but hot enough to keep my feet comfortable.

They just work.

I have the insoles. They are ok. Mine have a couple of hot spots on them. Maybe look into Gerbings new socks.

Great luck with Rev' It socks only (Winter Tour version). Do not know what they are made of but it works. Socks extend up to knees. There is a left and right sock. Medium thickness.

Just returned from a four day trip and feet were always warm at freeway speeds. Temps 35-60 degrees.

Jack

Insoles simply did not work for me. I had to stand on the pegs to truly feel the heat.

Something sounds wrong with your insoles. If they are fairly new I would call or email the company and explain they are not working properly.

Neither. Smart wool socks from LL Bean or Cabelas inside Sidi Canyons keep my feet warm enough in cold weather. My Gerbings heated jacket liner is another story... I don't ever ride in cool weather without it. Keeping your core warm goes a long way in keeping your distal extremities warm.

I have never seen the need for them,just switch to warmer socks & if a really cold ride I'd try the foot warmers as mentioned.

Boxer twin cylinders work fairly well.

Insoles would be a problem for me, as I move my orthotics to my boots when riding.

Warm Feets

First: Keep your legs warm to deliver warm blood to your feet.
Second: Layer up. My full regime is ski under-socks, Smartwool
medium weight, Redwing lace-ups and when needed Gore windproof
bicycle overboots.

Feet stay warm; I stay happy at 10F.

Neither. Smart wool socks from LL Bean or Cabelas inside Sidi Canyons keep my feet warm enough in cold weather. My Gerbings heated jacket liner is another story... I don't ever ride in cool weather without it. Keeping your core warm goes a long way in keeping your distal extremities warm.

For the feet, it depends on how cold it is and how long you're going to be out. Merino wool socks and good boots work well for me at 20 degrees F for two hours, but I start to really feel it an an hour and forty five minutes. That's why I bought heated insoles -- much more comfortable for a three hour ride.

Back