• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

anybody ever use something like this?

f14rio

51Xur-L0o%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Tr...=1352393565&sr=8-2&keywords=motorcycle+towing

I've never used one, but recall a discussion on one forum or another that had more negative comments than positive. People say it's difficult to attach the bike by yourself, that the mount should have a swivel, because sometimes the bike comes out of the 'chock', and that the chock is sometimes too small of a diameter, etc. I think the manufacturer even states something like 40 or 45 MPH maximum, so you won't be bringing it on a highway or interstate.

I can only think it might be useful if you say, transport a dirt bike a few miles to a riding area or something. Not much good for any other situations unless your bike breaks down close to home and maybe you can call a family member to come with it, but who breaks down close to home?

My take is there are big ones and little ones. And good ones and crappy ones.

If you pick a good one of the right size you should be fine. Too small/light, or crappy cheap and you are doomed to disappointment.

should there be a concern about damage to a cycle as a result of towing in this manner?

http://www.amazon.com/The-USA-Trail...ds=Motorcycle+Trailer+Hitch+Carrier+Tow+Dolly

If towing using the hitch dolly you are exposing the rear tire and final drive to wear. You will also having it bouncing around more as it is unladen (like an empty trailer) I doubt you could back up with it unless you are very skilled. Just my two cents. I considered it at one point and decided against it. While the logic seems simple enough, the cost attractive, you seldom see it done. I have over the years seen a few examples and for what ever the reason, the market hasn't accepted it and it didn't seem such a great idea when viewing it on the highway.

When I might consider it. If a small car where a suitable hitch could be mounted but the car with trailer and bike might be more of a burden than just the bike. If I had very limited space and limited funds and needed regular transport of a small bike.

For other transport needs in that limited space and money, the basic uhaul trailer for motorcycles rents for like 15 dollars a day and does a nice job. If you have a uhaul place near you, you can reserve one and the distribution uhaul place will deliver one to your uhaul shop.

I guess I have used this method 10-15 times over the last two years.. So my costs are still less than 300 and no worries about tires, lighting and storage. I just call and pick it up as I need it.

Just ideas.

I am leery of the 1st one you linked to as the cost of it seems unusually low for a quality item, even if simple in construction.

In the end however, I haven't used one, haven't helped use one, haven't closely examined one so you are not getting an expert opinion here. Good luck with your choice.

NCS

should there be a concern about damage to a cycle as a result of towing in this manner?

The transmission output shaft will be driven from the rear wheel. Combine that with the angle of the bike and I wonder if the bearings on the output shaft at the front of the transmission will get enough lubrication? :dunno

Perhaps for a short local "tow" to a dealer, like ten miles or less, maybe ok.
Otherwise on a shaft drive BMW I would not recommend it.

ten milers to a dealer?

i wish!

i'm 65 miles and that is probably a lot less than the average bmw cycle owner.

An alternative a friend uses is Trailer in a Bag. He loves it for its portability of not storing a trailer or hauling empty but has one when he needs it. He uses it a lot and loans it out as well.

Talk about a Rube Goldberg device ! How long does it take to put that thing together ? I would also be concerned about lack of any suspension. Hit a bump and that will hop around quite a bit with a bike on it.

Talk about a Rube Goldberg device ! How long does it take to put that thing together ? I would also be concerned about lack of any suspension. Hit a bump and that will hop around quite a bit with a bike on it.

Looks like it takes about as long as sliding anything else into the hitch receiver. A few seconds. Used to use one with a Yamaha 350 to shuffle a car to the canoe takeout in the Ozarks. If the bumps on those gravel roads wouldn't put the bike upside down on your car trunk nothing would. Two guys could pick up the front of the 350 and set in the cradle. Guess two of those guys from a 4 man team that steal wheel-chained Harleys by sticking a pipe through each wheel and lifting into a trailer could do a BMW but I would want to lift one.

Confusion reigns!

Post 12 says the Trailer in a Bag looks like a Rube Goldberg device, and post 13 says the wheel support just goes in the hitch receiver.

You are pretty wrong. It doesn't take very long at all and the lack of suspension doesn't seem to be an issue. I have hauled a R80RT from North Carolina back down here to Mississippi and hauled a F650GS from here to McAllen Texas and back with no problems. Its really a nice piece of engineering.

Back in 1980 I used a device in which the front tire is held by a bracket and lines from from each handlebar end to the ends of the rear bumper of the vehicle. I removed the chain from the rear sprocket and took a 1961 BSA DBD34 from Homestead to Texas. No problem except when my wife decided to back up to get the car closer to the gas pump! I was amazed that I was able to pick up the rear of the bike while screaming at her to "stop" before she backed over my Goldstar!! If you do use one I suggest make certain it fits both the car and the bike and is well-made! Also a note taped to the dash saying "DO NOT BACK UP" in giant red letters may be appropriate!

You are pretty wrong. It doesn't take very long at all and the lack of suspension doesn't seem to be an issue. I have hauled a R80RT from North Carolina back down here to Mississippi and hauled a F650GS from here to McAllen Texas and back with no problems. Its really a nice piece of engineering.

Thanks for the information. I stand corrected ! I took a minute to look up their website, and it is a nice trailer. Made of heavy steel and there are ample photos and testimonials of people using it for large heavy Harleys.

http://shop.trailerinabag.com/home.php

I actually think I might order one of these after the first of the year as it will solve a couple of vexing problems of logistics I have been having.

There is no way in hell I'd use the hitch one, and I'd only feel slightly better using the trailer in the bag.

Just rent a u-haul trailer if your need for trailer, but lack of space, is that imperative.

Edit: Holy moly, $1200-$2600 for the trailer in a bag?

Back