• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 GSA - fuel tank cap made out of plastic?!

I think my factory cap is metal, but the hinge is plastic and very small. It also only opens 90 degrees, leaving hardly any room for the hose with the vapor recovery system. That thing must be 3+ inches in diameter. I can hardly get it down on the tank without bending back the factory cap.

Funny about the engineers and their cad machines. I am one (retired, first aerospace and later medical equipment) and often we were told how much a design should cost, not how long it should last. We even had one program at a major defense contractor that I worked for called, "Design to Cost." Kind of tells you all you need to know.

Recently I let go my 78 Motorsport for this R12R, which I love for its brakes and handling, power, etc. and I plan on keeping it. But the airheads had so much more charm, so yesterday I put my bid in on another one, a 77 R100S that is being restored by two friends. No plastic gas cap hinges on it, or even a hinge.

Wayne

I replaced the plastic stock fuel tank cap with the "SSR Billet Aluminum" version. The plug-and-play installation took about four minutes, and the new black aluminum cap looks great on the triple-black GSA!

http://pirateslair.net/SSRgascapK1600.htm

To me, the gas cap on the GSA is a MAJOR pain in the a$$.

Even if it does not snap off, to get the gas pump nozzle in there and to fill it up to the max with these stupid gas pump plastic/rubber sleeves that cover/go across the nozzle here in CA is a royal pain!!!!!!!!

The "articulated vapor recovery boot" surrounding the pump nozzle is precisely what knocked the OEM cap off my tank.

I've heard the EPA (or maybe it was our local air quality management board) has rescinded the regulation that requires these vapor recovery systems. I can't wait for them to evaporate away into the atmosphere.

CORRECT, these stupid "articulated vapor recovery boots" do NOT exist in Germany.

Back