• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hello from Chesapeake Vaq

I just picked up my new (to me) 2011 R1200 RT this weekend. I flew from Norfolk Va to Charleston SC for a fly-and-ride. The bike had 2,355 miles on it when I pulled out of the driveway of the person I bought it from. :dance

I am coming from a 2004 FJR, so I am comfortable with the look and ergonomics of the RT. While I think the FJR is a good bike, I think the RT is a great bike! I am looking forward to a loooooong relationship with this bike and this community. :buds

Scott -

Welcome to the forum and BMWs! Even a blind squirrel finds a nice bike now and then, eh?

Sounds like you had a nice bonding experience with your ride home.

Congratulations and Welcome!

Post a pic when you get a chance.

Settle in, there is a lot to read and learn on this forum.

Aloha.

Scot

Post a pic when you get a chance.

Settle in, there is a lot to read and learn on this forum.

Aloha.

Scot

Sitting in my driveway :)

RT-2.jpg

Welcome Scott,

I imagine the FJR is super smooth. What were your first impressions with the Boxer engine? Sounds like you are enjoying it, but it is a different sensation. :)

Welcome Scott,

I imagine the FJR is super smooth. What were your first impressions with the Boxer engine? Sounds like you are enjoying it, but it is a different sensation. :)

I really like the boxer. More vibration when ideling, but it smooths right out on take off. The FJR seems to have more "snap your head back" throttle response, but I suspect that is because the throttle on the FJR is much more sensitive than the RT and I am still getting used to the RT throttle.

With the RT I like that I can do 55 MPH in first through sixth gear and the bike doesn't really seem to mind at all.

Congratulations and enjoy! I flew and rode from NJ to TN this past August and have the same setup as you do, 2011 too, only in triple grey. My ride was 800 miles and I was tortured by the seat. Bought a lightly used Corbin and all is good, except I slide a bit on the hard turns, I can't "grip" the Corbin like you can the stock seat, the Corbin is quite wide and large, but I guess that's the feature that makes it comfortable for me.

How was your ride up? How was the weather and how was the seat? I had light rain all day my first day with a harder rain at the end when I was calling it a day anyway, and I was surprised I stayed almost dry behind that windshield without using the rain gear, just the BMW summer suit. . The second day was sunny, humid and 95 degrees. I was spent by the time I arrived. I stayed with ATGATT the entire trip and it was tough. Had I known beforhand it was going to be that tough with the seat and the heat/humidity, I would have had the bike shipped up.

Congratulations and enjoy! I flew and rode from NJ to TN this past August and have the same setup as you do, 2011 too, only in triple grey. My ride was 800 miles and I was tortured by the seat. Bought a lightly used Corbin and all is good, except I slide a bit on the hard turns, I can't "grip" the Corbin like you can the stock seat, the Corbin is quite wide and large, but I guess that's the feature that makes it comfortable for me.

How was your ride up? How was the weather and how was the seat? I had light rain all day my first day with a harder rain at the end when I was calling it a day anyway, and I was surprised I stayed almost dry behind that windshield without using the rain gear, just the BMW summer suit. . The second day was sunny, humid and 95 degrees. I was spent by the time I arrived. I stayed with ATGATT the entire trip and it was tough. Had I known beforhand it was going to be that tough with the seat and the heat/humidity, I would have had the bike shipped up.

I have a Russel on my FJR, so the stock BMW is lacking in comparison. While the BMW seat did not leave me sore at the end of the day, I was needing to get off of it every couple of hours. I will be looking at options over the winter (leaning toward the Kontour).

The weather was sunny and warm the first day. It started out warm and overcast the second day, then turned to cold and rainy. I stayed pretty dry, but found I needed to lower the windshield enough to use the wind as a wiper for my helmet shield. I am going to try a laminar lip on the stock shield. If that does not do the trick I will try a VStream.

I have TechSpec tank grippers on my FJR, I am going to be going with either those or the CSS tank pads from Wunderlich.

Back