• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 rt

rhood1960

Just bought a new r1200rt does anybody make a smaller tank bag that clips into to tank bracket like the factory bag?

Not that I am aware, but you can remove the BMW bag from the clip-in frame and attach a smaller bag, such as an RKA, on the frame.

The Touratech Flattop tank bag is a well made, decent and small enough to not interfere with the handlebar switches at full lock. The vinyl (?) map case also holds up well. The bag is very weather proof. No rain cover is included but I use an old one from my ancient Eclipse tankbag.

The mechanism of the BMW tank bag and the ease of which it connects is excellent. I wish they had this same setup on my GTL. If you have seen the bag in person and seen the ease of it you need to do so before you pull the trigger on anything else. If I had another RT and wanted a smaller bag I would hunt down an old bag on eBay and cut away the old bag just so I would have the frame to use as a base for any tank bag I wanted.

You can do that without ruining the BMW bag? I don't have the bag.
I haven't done it, so I do not know.

There are 11 small screws under the clip-on plate, suggesting the answer is yes, it can be removed without damage -- but again, I have no idea whether damage-less removal is possible.

I have a tourtech with the bmw base - I didn't do it, came with the bike but the heighet is perfect.

Bag 'em Danno

+1 on the BMW bag. It is huge but once you get used to it.... I find in my old age it's easer to see the map (I'm not evolved enough to use a GPS) when it's closer. I actually put my magnet mount bag into the BMW bag to faciilitate my multiple bike habit. I ride my RT to my shop then switch to the TW200 to head out for work (I work on ranches requiring serious off road riding). My wife calls my tank bag a "man purse".

+1+1 The tank bag setup on the RT is one of the best features of the bike. Yeh, they probably need to offer a smaller version tank bag with the same mechanism, but the attachment/latching design is awesome. Its too bad they don't do this with the 1200R, and the K and G series bikes as well.

Back