• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gerbing Jacket liner or Vest?

Think twice before buying GERBINGS!

Thought I would update everyone on my NEW purchase of a GERBING JACKET LINER, GLOVES and DUAL CONTROLLER. I am very disapointed to say the least. JACKET and CONTROLLER burned up first time I used it. It was very difficult to contact Gerbings by phone. After holding over thirty minutes three different times I talked to "Linda" and was told to send it to Olympia WA. for repair. After three weeks I still did not hear from anyone and went through the phone hold twice again, once for thirty minutes and once for twenty minutes. I was told it would be at least another week.

After five weeks I recieved a previously opened controller and my NEW/OLD JACKET LINER. My Jacket liner smelled so bad I had to keep it in the garage. It strongly smelled of burned electrical smoke and fire.

The Gloves, jacket liner and dual controller cost over $500. Along with the jacket return was a letter stating they were bought out by Prospect Brands, LLC and to call Thomas J. Nolan President and CEO of the new acquiring company. I did just that and was told to send an email to the new location in North Carolina and a new jacket liner would be sent. This was eight days ago and I still have not heard from anyone since nor have I recieved the new JACKET and CONTROLLER!

After over SEVEN weeks since my purchase I am still out $500+ and no usable product.

I went to the Los Angeles International motorcycle show last weekend where GERBINGS had a display booth and told them what had happened. "Katie" who handled these problems in Olympia WA said she no longer worked for GERBINGS. Working the show was her last day.

After talking to others I realized they sent me last years model (made in China) that has had numerous quality control issues and they are now bought out by Prospect Brands, LLC. They will now attempt to manufacture in the USA to improve quality and fulfill a government contract. Was told most products are not available to the general public and will not be for up to a year.

My simple advice is to buy another brand at this time or until GERBING/PROSPECT BRANDS LLC gets it together and can provide a reliable product and creates a true customer service and phone contact.

I talked again to Thomas J. Nolan the new President and CEO of GERBINGS/PROSPECT BRANDS and was told there is not another contact for the new plant or business yet but was promised again I would be sent a new jacket liner and controller as promised earlier. I am still waiting--now going on to eight weeks.

They have a full page add in our MOA magizine this month. Buyer be ware!

Jack

Some friends went to a Motorcycle show in San Mateo CA about 3 weeks ago and talked to a Gerbing factory Rep. Gerbing products have been back ordered for months. The reason for the back up is not only due to moving the operation back to the USA but they are now making the liners that run on battery packs for Cabela's and Columbia sports wear. If your a hunter, ski or snow boarder, heated gear is really taking off. Light weight, not bulky and as warm or cool as you want to make it. I tried to purchase a large long and was told it would be the middle to the end of December. One of the suppliers that my local shop uses has had an order in since May 15th. They are out of most sizes. So, I am sitting and waiting. The controller is already mounted on the bike. So close but so far.......

Interesting story, sorry to hear of your troubles, and tonight during some final sewing on my DIY liner, i began to second guess the DIY route.
I will continue with renewed enthusiasm.

Try

http://www.cyclenutz.com/

Last time I was there he had stock

Pretty sure it is the leftover stock from last year or the year before that was made in China. None of the Dealers I know in CA and AZ have any "made in USA" new stock and will not be able to get any for some time. I would recommend that you stay away from the "made in China" stock. I am saying this because of my own personal experiance. There are a lot of good brands out there ie Powerlet, First Gear, Roadmaster etc. Before you purchase any Gerbings ask where it was made. A lot of qualitie control issues with the China made stock.

Jack

Last edited:
I have a Gerbings jacket liner purchased at the 2010 Oregon rally. I've only used it a few times but it has worked fine. And yes, it is "Made in China." So I'm wondering 1. Do you either get a lemon or a good one? In other words, do they either fail (burn?) quickly or else last a long time? 2. Has quality control ALWAYS been shoddy in the Chinese Gerbings shop or is that a recent development? We might learn these facts if more Gerbings owners reply with the year of purchase, country of manufacture, and positive or negative experience.

It certainly sounds like, for now at least, you should explore other options for heated gear. Gerbings DID have a good reputation when I made my purchase and, like all things I wear, I much prefer buying after actually trying on the article for fit.

Thought I would update everyone on my NEW purchase of a GERBING JACKET LINER, GLOVES and DUAL CONTROLLER. I am very disapointed to say the least. JACKET and CONTROLLER burned up first time I used it. It was very difficult to contact Gerbings by phone. After holding over thirty minutes three different times I talked to "Linda" and was told to send it to Olympia WA. for repair. After three weeks I still did not hear from anyone and went through the phone hold twice again, once for thirty minutes and once for twenty minutes. I was told it would be at least another week.

After five weeks I recieved a previously opened controller and my NEW/OLD JACKET LINER. My Jacket liner smelled so bad I had to keep it in the garage. It strongly smelled of burned electrical smoke and fire.

The Gloves, jacket liner and dual controller cost over $500. Along with the jacket return was a letter stating they were bought out by Prospect Brands, LLC and to call Thomas J. Nolan President and CEO of the new acquiring company. I did just that and was told to send an email to the new location in North Carolina and a new jacket liner would be sent. This was eight days ago and I still have not heard from anyone since nor have I recieved the new JACKET and CONTROLLER!

After over SEVEN weeks since my purchase I am still out $500+ and no usable product.

I went to the Los Angeles International motorcycle show last weekend where GERBINGS had a display booth and told them what had happened. "Katie" who handled these problems in Olympia WA said she no longer worked for GERBINGS. Working the show was her last day.

After talking to others I realized they sent me last years model (made in China) that has had numerous quality control issues and they are now bought out by Prospect Brands, LLC. They will now attempt to manufacture in the USA to improve quality and fulfill a government contract. Was told most products are not available to the general public and will not be for up to a year.

My simple advice is to buy another brand at this time or until GERBING/PROSPECT BRANDS LLC gets it together and can provide a reliable product and creates a true customer service and phone contact.

I talked again to Thomas J. Nolan the new President and CEO of GERBINGS/PROSPECT BRANDS and was told there is not another contact for the new plant or business yet but was promised again I would be sent a new jacket liner and controller as promised earlier. I am still waiting--now going on to eight weeks.

They have a full page add in our MOA magizine this month. Buyer be ware!

Jack

I bought a Gerbings jacket liner a couple of years ago, and after using it a couple of times, the controler malfunctioned and got so hot that it melted where it connected into the jacket. I placed a call to them and the lady I spoke with said that she knew what the problem was because it had happened to other liners. I sent it back to them and it took about two weeks for them to get it back to me. I haven't had any issues since, though i can't say that I have complete confidence in the jacket liner now after having that happen.

I hope that you can get this resolved to your satisfaction. They certainly need to make it right.

For most of its history Gerbings stuff has been workable and reliable though ever since they went to China for mfg, sizing has been odd to put it mildly.
They're like a lot of small to mid size shops- ill equipped todeal with the logisitics and other issues of sourcing from China which derive a lot from a very poor quality work force re its education and skill. I was involved with China sourced stuff for many years before retiring and at best its a continuing set of issues to try to keep decent quality and on time delivery.
Then Gerbings got in way over their head with the move to NC and ran out of cash. Moving an exisitng business is a difficult activity for the experienced- for the naive it is usually a majo screwup and they managed to prove the latter.

With new ownership and some patience, I hope they will make it back.
Meanwhile, I suggest WarmNSafe. Controllers and jackets interchange- mix and match as you choose.

My own gear is a mix of jackets and controolers from both. No problems with any of my stuff and it gets regular use on multiple bikes.

Opened the Christmas present this morning which was a Gerbing jacket liner made in the US and controller made in China.

Both items were from stock at the local dealer.

In reading the instructions, they seem to be pretty focused on proper polarity for the installation, as well as fusing that is just over the rating limit of the piece(s) being used, and the advice to plug in after the engine is started.

Just wondering if there is any cockpit error involved with the OP who is so down on his particular Gerbings?

Just saying...

Opened the Christmas present this morning which was a Gerbing jacket liner made in the US and controller made in China.

Both items were from stock at the local dealer.

In reading the instructions, they seem to be pretty focused on proper polarity for the installation, as well as fusing that is just over the rating limit of the piece(s) being used, and the advice to plug in after the engine is started.

Just wondering if there is any cockpit error involved with the OP who is so down on his particular Gerbings?

Just saying...

Rest assured all was done properly and according to Gerbing instructions.

Jack

They (Gerbings) have a full page add in our MOA magazine this month. Buyer beware!

The MOA magazine still has a Bing Agency ad that carries the Colortune.

Advertizing dollars are placed far ahead of member's concerns. A reputable club/organization would not.

Well, my jacket finally came in. So far, no problems. I can see on another thread that some people are not very happy with Gerbing. I only got an hour of riding in with the jacket turned on. I have to say the jacket vs vest was the right choice for me and it felt good to be warm. After my trip to the shop, the jacket alone was warm enough for the ride home without using the thermostat. I hope the jacket performs as promised so that I don't end up complaining on the other thread?
Thank you again for those that assisted in helping make my jacket/vest decision.

The MOA magazine still has a Bing Agency ad that carries the Colortune.

Advertizing dollars are placed far ahead of member's concerns. A reputable club/organization would not.

I think your criticism is over the top. A lot of people are happy with Gerbings. I know Jack isnt but that does not constitute absolute castigation of a well used product. Suggest you keep your criticism a bit more balanced on the MOA.
I happen to find their product evaluations quite accurate.
Regards
Paul

Back