• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Windscreen stuck intermittently? 2012-R1200RT

bikerpaul

This is the second time in probably a month and a half that I've gotten on my bike and went to adjust the windscreen up and it wouldn't budge. There haven't been any indications that something is broken and the screen has worked previously in the day before not working. Both times the windscreen has been in the full down position.

The first time it happened I was riding along, adjusted my screen down and then maybe 5 minutes later tried to adjust it up and it wouldn't move. About 10 minutes after that it worked fine and has up until 30 minutes ago.

This time, I adjusted it down and parked it shortly there after for about 30 minutes. I got back on the bike and the screen wouldn't budge for my whole ride back to work which was about 20 minutes.

Has anyone had these issues or are you able to suggest what might be the issue. I'm sure if I take to the dealer, it'll work by the time they get to look at it.

No problem. The second owner of my K16GTL has experienced the same windshield problem, and my '12 R12RT had its right switch cluster replaced for a defective starter switch.

The older switches had their issues, too, but the ones on my 08 RT and 06 K GT have been fine. The new switch design was supposed to be an improvement but seems more like just another bit of cost cutting for manufacture- there are quite a few reports of failures of what ought to be an easy 100% reliable part..

Just get it on record and get your dealer to replace it eventually- covered by warranty.

It still isn't working. My hope is that'll be the case in the morning when I take to the dealer. Any bets?

2011 r1200rt

Mine is stuck as of today! Pulled into my garage after a full days ride, went to put the windscreen down and .......nothing.....Arrgghhh.......off to the dealer!

Wow...

Mine is stuck as of today! Pulled into my garage after a full days ride, went to put the windscreen down and .......nothing.....Arrgghhh.......off to the dealer!

Sorry to hear your first post is not a positive one. If your bike is still under warranty don't hesitate bringing it in for a warranty replacement. There is apparently a new part number for the left cluster that is expected to correct the issue.

Feedback from those who have experienced issues is that the switches that fail did not have a discernable feel when pressing but the newer model number switch does.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope once past this issue your ownership is filled with many happy and memorable miles.

Aloha.

Scot

Sorry to hear your first post is not a positive one. If your bike is still under warranty don't hesitate bringing it in for a warranty replacement. There is apparently a new part number for the left cluster that is expected to correct the issue.

Feedback from those who have experienced issues is that the switches that fail did not have a discernable feel when pressing but the newer model number switch does.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope once past this issue your ownership is filled with many happy and memorable miles.

Aloha.

Scot

Aloha Scot, even with the "fail" the day was still excellent and this problem should be covered under warranty. A minor inconvenience but these things happen.

Cheers,

John

It appears to be intermittent...potentially as a heat related issue as it works it's way to failure. It seems that the culprit is an internal flat circuit board issue, that affects some of the R bikes with the "new" switch gears, and some of the K bikes. Some go bad & some do not. I haven't heard it so much on the GS of any of the models, but those bikes aren't bikes we see in a lot.

I haven't heard of any of the replacement ones having any issues...

Those are my observations.

No problem. The second owner of my K16GTL has experienced the same windshield problem, and my '12 R12RT had its right switch cluster replaced for a defective starter switch.

I have seen a K16 with this very problem one time. I no longer remember the specifics but attaching the bike to the BMW diagnostic equipment, which recognized there was a windshield issue, was actually able to resolve it by a few key strokes. Not saying this will resolve your particular problem but it's worth a shot.

I think you are having major problem. The switch is suppose to fail to lower the windscreen not fail to raise it.

I'm being sarcastic. The left hand switch gear fails often (I've gone through 5).

tsp
My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

This is the second time in probably a month and a half that I've gotten on my bike and went to adjust the windscreen up and it wouldn't budge. There haven't been any indications that something is broken and the screen has worked previously in the day before not working. Both times the windscreen has been in the full down position.

Has anyone had these issues or are you able to suggest what might be the issue. I'm sure if I take to the dealer, it'll work by the time they get to look at it.

I've had problems with the horn button on my '11 RT. So far "fixed" with some flushing with WD40 or similar.

So how can the Japanese manufacturers make switches that last for years (decades) but BMW can't? :banghead

pete
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

I've had problems with the horn button on my '11 RT. So far "fixed" with some flushing with WD40 or similar.

So how can the Japanese manufacturers make switches that last for years (decades) but BMW can't? :banghead

pete
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

Actually IMO BMW's switches tend to be substantially better. It's not that Japanese switches seem to be bad, they don't seem to hold up as well in the weather. Ignition switches in particular are notorious for failing on Japanese bikes.

Actually IMO BMW's switches tend to be substantially better. It's not that Japanese switches seem to be bad, they don't seem to hold up as well in the weather. Ignition switches in particular are notorious for failing on Japanese bikes.

Interesting perspective. I never had a switch problem with any of the several Japanese bikes I've had. In fact, never had a switch problem until I got my '11 RT (my first BMW). Plus I think the Japanese switch gear has a more solid, quality feel than my RT. But as long as they keep working, I'll be happy with the RT switches.

pete

Back